Losing A Piece Of Yourself. | Teen Ink

Losing A Piece Of Yourself.

May 23, 2011
By Ahbreejerae SILVER, Eagle Creek, Oregon
Ahbreejerae SILVER, Eagle Creek, Oregon
8 articles 0 photos 8 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Beneath the makeup and behind the smile I am just a girl who wishes for the world."
-Marilyn Monroe


Many times in my life I have sat there day dreaming that my life was like an 80's movie. The guys back then had chivalry, and knew how to romance a woman. But in reality, there's no way I can go back in time, so I'm stuck with guys who find random "hookups" in their car romantic.

Being a teenager, hearing about people "hooking up" is nothing new. It's actually pretty expected. By the terms "hooking up" we are meaning that they either had sex, or engaged in sexual activities.

Many times teens hook up at parties, and for my school that's a lot. If you mix alcohol and Ecstasy with raging hormones, what else do you expect? The kids here, and I'm sure everywhere else, for the majority, are content with frying their brains and giving their virginity's away randomly. To many it's not a special moment anymore. How sad is it that teens are undermining what should be an extremely special time, and just giving it up to anybody, anywhere. I know of many teens who have "hooked up" with over 5 people, and they aren't even 18 yet. In my opinion, it's pretty sad, and especially reckless. I mean, I have 5 friends under the age of 19 that I have to shop for baby supplies. It's so young to be a parent.

I feel like self-esteem plays are large part on why so many people are randomly giving it up. If they don't feel beautiful or special, they go find someone who will make them feel that way for an hour, and then right after, feel like crap again. It's a never ending cycle.

I feel that at such a young age, its absurd to just give yourself to any person. You should protect your body, and share it with someone who appreciates you, and isn't just making you another story to tell his friends.