This I Believe | Teen Ink

This I Believe

By CalliJoy SILVER, East Jordan, Michigan
CalliJoy SILVER, East Jordan, Michigan

I believe people can love, regardless of the circumstances.

It is possible for two people to connect on many different levels because of love. It is hard for me to comprehend how people could possibly NOT believe in love. I have always believed in love. However, it wasn’t until recently that I realized how much love means, and I don’t just mean relationships.

A phrase that young people often hear is, “You’re too young to know what love is, you’re not in love.” Yeah? Tell that to my heart. Many people believe that young people haven’t lived enough to know what real love is. Yes, there are some “bad” teenagers in the world, but in the end, don’t we all just want love? I believe we do.

It bothers me when people say that teenagers are too young to know what love is. We do know what love is, and we also know what heartbreak is. We know what it’s like to be lied to and cheated on. Try to remember what you knew and had experienced at 16 years old. Have faith that we are all capable of love, no matter our age.

It is not all about relationships. Love is about kindness and caring, and being good. Love is one thing in this world that I believe every single human being is capable of, however, some choose to ignore the feeling. Love is something that the world needs to accept and embrace, and allow regardless of what age, or preference. Love is the most powerful tool we possess. I believe we need to use this tool, and make the world a better place.

Just a few days ago, my boyfriend’s grandma commented on a post of mine on Facebook. She went on to tell the whole world about how they need to see the good young people in the world, and not focus solely on the bad. She said that I am a very kind, loving and mature young lady, and more people in the world should be that way, and that perhaps if they were, there would be more hope for the future of mankind. What a kind, positive thing to say. She is someone who loves one and all. She is the type of person the world needs more of.

This piece was initially written for "This I Believe," but I figured I would share it here as well. This is definitely something I feel strongly about.