John 4:19, God loves us ALL | Teen Ink

John 4:19, God loves us ALL

May 3, 2011
By ClaudiaEmilie SILVER, Scottsdale, Arizona
ClaudiaEmilie SILVER, Scottsdale, Arizona
7 articles 1 photo 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly."


If man and woman are allowed to be joined together in holy matrimony, then why can’t woman and woman or man and man? This is the first question that comes to my mind when I think of same sex marriage. I feel that everyone in America has the right to free speech. Therefore, if someone is gay or lesbian, they should have every right to run around in the streets yelling “I like people of the same sex” if they darn well please.

Just like straight people, gay and lesbian people are humans too. No one should get made fun of for being different. Sadly, many states have laws against same sex marriage. The United States government does not recognize the marriages of same sex couples and even made an act against it called the Defense of Marriage Act. In addition to this, as of March 2011, 41 states prohibit same sex marriage. I feel that this is unconstitutional and unjust.

Same sex marriage licenses are granted in five states: Connecticut, Iowa, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, and Vermont, with the addition of Washington, D.C. and the Coquille Indian Tribe in Oregon. The only thing I do not understand about same sex marriages is, if the US won’t recognize a same sex marriage license, then why same sex marriage is allowed in Washington D.C., the capitol of these United States.

I think that we as Americans should recognize that we are all different. People are discriminated against everyday for race, gender, religion, mental abilities, physical abilities, and relationship choices. This makes the American people look very bad. In the eyes of other countries, we probably are “meddling people with problems in their own country.” They have every right to say that because here, in “the land of good and plenty” we can’t accept people as they are.

Many religions also discriminate gay marriage. Catholics believe that same sex marriage “offends god.” God just wants to make sure that we stay away from the devil and treat others well. I do not think that God is up there in heaven huffing and puffing because there was another same sex marriage today. God loves everyone for who they are. “In this was manifested the love of God toward us, because God sent His only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through Him. Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us, and sent His Son to be the satisfaction for our sins."
~John 4:19~

I believe that if “We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.” then same sex marriage should be allowed


The author's comments:
I hope that the US government will change this act, not because I am lesbian but because I believe that it is good to be different.