Lust at First Sight | Teen Ink

Lust at First Sight

March 14, 2011
By Anonymous

Whenever I hear people talk about their relationship with their significant other, and how they met, some of them respond with the typical “Oh, it was just love at first sight.”

I smile and try to understand how that can possibly be. I try to fully comprehend the situation as best as I can, and try to look at it through their eyes, but I can’t seem to grasp the unrealistic “truth” to what they are saying. I mean, sure you can be really attracted to someone at a first glance, but love them after just one look? I don’t think so.

Maybe I’m just being pessimistic because I find it hard to empathize with that person, due to my belief that “love at first sight” is impossible. I’ve taken a ride on the love boat, so I’m pretty sure I know what I’m talking about; That uncontrollable rollercoaster-like feeling you get inside of you whenever you see that person walk by; That one person who you can have six hour long phone conversations with and still have about a million more things to say; The one person that can leave you knee-weakened and speechless with just a smile. I’m sure all you love birds know what I’m talking about. That amazing feeling all caused by that one special person whom you’ve known for a long time. Love is all these things combined which takes time to evolve. When you love someone, you give all your trust in that person and expect the same in return. Would you trust the cute guy you’ve seen at school just because you had this great attraction towards him?

For those that claim that love at first sight is indeed real, by all means if you believe it is to be true, then that’s great. As cheesy as it sounds, I think love is more like a seed (bare with me, I know it’s corny but it does make sense...to me anyway). You have to give it your time and care in order for it to blossom into something beautiful. Some say they believe it can happen on sight. Others, like myself, believe otherwise. And maybe my opinions are based on the fact that I do see my cup as half empty rather than half full, but that’s just how I see it.