Teenage love | Teen Ink

Teenage love

By SierraC BRONZE, Glendale, Arizona
SierraC BRONZE, Glendale, Arizona

Teenage love is a complete fantasy in adult’s eyes while it feels ultimately real for teenagers. Why do adults write off teenage love as merely a phase or even non-existent? Adults need to realize that teenage love; although it may be rare it does exist and adults should be more understanding toward it.
Adults think they know that teenage love is unrealistic just because they have “been there and done that.” I do understand that adults tend to be wiser because they have had more experience in life than teenagers have had but love is a precious treasure that cannot be bypassed simply because an elder told us it was not real. Where did they get the right to tell us what is real and what is not? About two percent of teenagers actually marry their high school sweetheart; however, I believe if adults were more supportive and helped us through relationships that percentage would increase. The percentage could potentially rise if teenagers knew what real love is and frankly most adults do not even know what true and pure love is. In fact adults may have even forgotten what love is, always being caught up in their careers, finances and other problems faced in this harsh economy. They can get so wrapped up in their life that they just do not have time for love anymore. Given these are everyday responsibilities that must be taken care of but because of this marriages can fail. The number one cause for divorce is financial stress. This just goes to show relationships do take a lot of work and time and can only flourish if there is balance between real life responsibilities and love. If adults can be role models and show teenagers what love truly is, teens will understand what it takes to be in a real relationship. Teenagers will know a relationship is not about making out every time they are alone or being the “perfect” couple because they never fight. A genuine relationship requires time and effort on both sides, and relationships have their good times and their bad times if teenagers realize that it could make teenage love real and truly meaningful.
Teenage love does exist, adults just need to recognize that, and set a better example for teens. If adults show teens what love really is the two percent of teens that get married out of high school could greatly increase. Teens look up to their elders, whether they will admit it or not, and if they see how real love is supposed to be they can apply it to their own relationships; thus, creating healthier, real relationships and a better success rate for teen marriages in the future. Love is precious gift in life that can not be ignored but instead should be cherished whether or not someone says it is real or not. Adults should not tell teens that their love is not real or just an unrealistic fantasy because it is real and it does exist you just have to know where to look. As long as there is balance between real life duties, you significant other and yourself any kind of love will always exist.

TanGem PLATINUM, Colorado Springs, Colorado

Love is not a feeling; it is a gift, an act, an ultimate sacrifice. -Me (Em)

1. Studies have demonstrated beyond doubt that there cannot be a healthy, committed, and lasting romantic relationship between two individuals, unless they have both reached full emotional maturity.

2. Research has shown again and again that full emotional maturity is not possible until an individual is in their late 20's or early 30's.

3. The process of reaching full emotional maturity is slowed, halted, or backtracked when one enters a romantic relationship with another individual. This is doe to emotional dependence on the other person, which significantly weakens the individual's need to develop their own emotional maturity.

Therefore, teenage love really is unrealistic 98% of the time, and the journey to emotional maturity cannot be sped along by supportive adults.

Don't believe me? Imagine your parents nagging you with advice on how to be more mature (i.e. telling you that it's not worth it to get involved *cough* in teenage relationships *cough cough*). Are you going to listen to them? No! (Of course not! Even your own article proves this point. Apparently you are really not going to listen!) Instead, you're going to go out there, do everything that feelsright, and learn from your own dumb mistakes! Most people aren't finished with experiential learning this until they are much, much older (i.e. late 20's or early 30's).

Despite all this, some teens are still willing to risk their hearts. Many do this with the hope that they'll be the 2% of relationships that actually succeed. But let me ask you this: If you had a chance to buy a $20 lottery ticket, with only a 2% chance of winning, would you buy it? No way! A crisp, new $20 bill on your hand is much better than a "bird in the bush," so to speak. You know that you'll probably just end up paying the $20 to the single winner. Even gambling in poker and slot games has a better chance of winning than 2%!

And in the end, a heart is much more valuable than a $20 bill.

Teenage love is dead.

Kaitou_Kid BRONZE, Yorkton, Other

"Because with a keen eye for details, only one truth, will prevail." - Shinichi Kudo

Couldn't have said this all better myself. ;D