Abstinence | Teen Ink

Abstinence

February 4, 2011
By Chelsea45 BRONZE, Glendale, Arizona
Chelsea45 BRONZE, Glendale, Arizona
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

A survey taken in 2003 showed that the average age of teenager’s “first time” is 16. This puts the teenager around the 10th grade, a sophomore in high school. That was completely shocking to me! The first thought that popped into my head was parents. Where are these kids’ parents? Are the parents allowing it? Parents should promote abstinence to their teenagers not provide contraception.

I believe teenagers should remain abstinent. When these teenagers go around and sleep with multiply partners it messes up their emotions. It can cause attachment issues and a whole other slew of problems. I also believe that sex before marriage is wrong. The first book of Thessalonians 4:3 states, “It is God’s will that you should be sanctified: that you should avoid sexual immorality” Lastly, if you stay abstinent then you don’t have to worry about unexpected pregnancy. Abstinence is the best form of birth control.

One of the contributing factors of teenagers having sex to early is their parents. It is absolutely ridiculous that there are parents out there giving their kids birth control and condoms. Contraception can have dangerous effects if used prematurely. I personally think it is irresponsible parenting. Sex is meant for adults who are in love in a committed relationship.

Parents should promote abstinence to their teenagers not provide contraception. I believe God gave teenagers parents so that they can guide us through life. Teenagers are still young and naïve and they need help despite what they might think. If parents are giving out condoms like it is no big deal then they aren’t doing their job.