Valentines | Teen Ink

Valentines

What is the point of valentines day? No matter whether you are single or in a relationship valentines day seems to be a lose for all involved. The single people feel very depressed and upset that they don't have anybody to spend the day with. Everybody is single at one point and feels the pain of celebrating this holiday alone, but still we let it continue.Then the people in relationships look shallow because they are trying to express their love only one day of the year. Valentines simplifies the idea of love in a way it was never meant to be. It makes love look like it can be bought which is so far from the truth. Is a guy is able to prove his love by buying a girl the biggest teddy bear, the biggest box of chocolates, and the prettiest bouquet flowers? That stuff just proves he was willing to spend a lot of money to keep the girl happy not that he loves her. Love is proved when people are able to overcome hardships together not when things are going good. What if instead of celebrating valentines we celebrated a day about the power of true love. A day where everybody can be happy and where we exchange meaningful gifts with the ones we love. This way nobody is singled out and nobody has to feel down on a day that is supposed to be about love.

I really haven't enjoyed valentines day ever