Valentine's Day Woes | Teen Ink

Valentine's Day Woes

February 14, 2011
By WishfulDancer SILVER, New Albany, Ohio
WishfulDancer SILVER, New Albany, Ohio
5 articles 0 photos 1 comment

It is easy to ignore the fact that you're single almost every day of the year; the exception to this is Valentine's Day. Valentine's Day is a day to look forward to when you have that special someone to spend it with, but when you don't have that someone, it isn't quite as lovely. It is a holiday written off by many as a clever marketing ploy (the many refers almost exclusively to those lonely souls out there). So, what is it that makes this holiday, which is supposed to be about love, so despicable? It certainly isn't the delectable chocolates, or the palatable flowers, or even the cheesy cards written with the rhyming ability of a ten year old. My guess is that, while Valentine's Day is a reminder for the singles of their single status, the true reason behind the Valentine's Day woes is the hidden fear of never finding that one person who will buy you candy and roses each year.
I have three cats, and love them each unconditionally. Often, I make jokes that I am going to grow up to be "the cat lady." You know the one I am referring to; the woman who never married, but instead filled her home with cats as an outlet for her love. Honestly, this doesn't seem like too bad of an idea for someone who has had a series of relationship fails. Nonetheless, it is undeniable that a person needs reciprocated human love. This irrefutable fact is what spawns the haunting uneasiness which creeps out of the dark recesses of our hearts every Valentine's Day. Every person, old or young, male or female, is secretly afraid that he or she will somehow get lost in the sea of people in this world, missing the opportunity to connect with that one special person and condemning themselves to a lifetime of solitude. However, I have come to realize that this is impossible. Life is love and love is life. One cannot go through life without love. No matter who you are, or where you are, or what you are doing, love will finds its way to you. So, put those Valentine's Day woes to bed, and get out and do something. Life is worth living; don't let a little fear be the barricade between you and your life.


The author's comments:
Happy Valentine's Day to all my fellow singles! (: