Valentine's Day: A Bust? | Teen Ink

Valentine's Day: A Bust?

February 10, 2011
By PassionateWriter BRONZE, Hayden, Arizona
PassionateWriter BRONZE, Hayden, Arizona
4 articles 2 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Distance makes the heart grow fonder." :)


Heart-shaped candies. Huge stuffed animals. Cards saying “I love you”. Hello, Valentine’s Day! While you’re busy stopping by a florist to buy a dozen roses, ponder this thought for me, would ya? What exactly are you celebrating on this so-called “holiday”? You’re celebrating the one you love? Well, shouldn’t you be doing that every day? I believe Valentine’s Day is simply a consumer-driven “holiday”. Society makes people believe that they have to do something special for their significant other on the 14th of February when in reality, I don’t think it should take a “holiday” for a person to want to do something special. A person should want to do that any given day of the year, not just on Valentine’s Day. Why should it take it being Valentine’s Day for you to give your girlfriend roses? Why can’t you do that for her on a random day during the year? I’m sure she’d appreciate it much more on a random day than a day when its somewhat expected. Personally, I just strongly believe that a person should be grateful for their loved one every day, not just on a day society says they should. So, yes, you can go out and buy chocolates and roses on Valentine’s Day but don’t forget there’s 364 other days in the year to show your love as well. So buy her a Hershey’s kiss on the 14th, but don’t forget to give her a real one every other day of the year.