Is Love a Lost Cause?

When was the last time you were in love? Think really hard; I’m sure you can come up with someone that you have been in love with. Be careful, though, in your reminiscing: don’t be mislead. I didn’t say in lust, I didn’t say a crush, and I most indubitably did not say ridiculously infatuated with; I said in love.

The problem is, the word “love” has been tarnished and tainted by society’s overuse of it. I admit, I’m guilty of it, too, and this timeworn word can be heard in a plethora of different conversations: “I just loved that movie!” “I love your shirt!” “I looovvveee ice cream.” “Don’t you just LOVE Edward Cullen?” This lack of reverence for what is possibly one of the most pivotal words in society is utterly excruciating; it has become stale and uninspired.

I know this point has been expressed many times by others, and will most likely be conveyed again some time in the near future, but maybe that’s because it’s such an important point to get across. I’m not trying to lessen anyone’s feelings or extinguish the flames of true love, I’m just saying, maybe next time you find yourself in a relationship, you should think twice about whether you’re really in love with that person or not. Who knows; you could save yourself a few tears, or find your happy ending. After all, it is possible to be open-minded, without rushing into arrogance...

ShelbyMarie93 said...
Mar. 24, 2011 at 9:15 am
I thought I'd make it known...the last word, "arrogance," is supposed to be "ignorance." I don't know how that happened haha...oops. :)

SunnyDayInNebraska! said...
Feb. 2, 2011 at 9:57 am
i like your opinion article because you talk about the truth! :)

ShelbyMarie93 replied...
Thanks! :)

BillyBobo1234567890 said...
Feb. 2, 2011 at 9:41 am
Hey!(: Shelb! This is a great opinion! This just made me think a little if I'm at the age to think that I am "in love." Anyways.. Great Job and keep on writing! :D

ShelbyMarie93 replied...
Feb. 2, 2011 at 9:43 am
Thanks so much BillyBobo1234567890!

ShelbyMarie93 replied...
Feb. 2, 2011 at 10:39 am
Funny, funny girl. I sat right next to you while you read and rated this; you gave it a 5/5. :P

BillyBobo1234567890 replied...
Feb. 15, 2011 at 10:01 am
Haa, well remember you told me read it and I did. And I also, rated it! ;D

ShelbyMarie93 replied...
Feb. 15, 2011 at 10:03 am
I KNOW you did, and that's why I know you gave it 5/5. so ;P yourself. Haha