Bad Ad- Dolce & Gabbana | Teen Ink

Bad Ad- Dolce & Gabbana

January 4, 2011
By Melissa7 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
Melissa7 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

This ad was created by Dolce & Gabbana to promote their purse. In this ad, Dolce & Gabbana targeted an audience of young white females, ages 15 to 30. The beautiful, young woman in the ad draws them in with her tiny figure, flawless complexion, and sex appeal. In this ad, only white models are used, suggesting their target audience is white women. Women love to make a fashion statement with purses that provide storage for everyday necessities. The ad was strategically placed in Elle magazine, to reach these young white women.
The ad provides a miniscule amount of information. They state the company name: “Dolce & Gabbana”. “Pre Fall 07/08” gives the line which the purse belongs to, and in tiny print in the left hand corner, a telephone number and website is given. But, there is an untold story. The female model poses between two models. On the left, the man’s face is clearly visible. However, on the right, the upside down figure creates confusion with an androgynous figure. Pressed against the female’s back appears to be a breast. The narrow shoulders also suggest this is a woman. On the other hand, the leg is hairy and the arm appears much larger than that of a female. A tattoo of an animal paw is on the back of the person’s shoulder, suggesting it is a man.
The only attire worn is the almost skin tone purse. At first glance, the purse is hardly visible, making the viewer look closer. Dolce & Gabbana use the persuasion technique, “Beautiful People”. The female model’s stunning face grabs the reader’s attention even before the purse does. Her eyes are the only color given to the page, which draws attention to her sad expression. Her chin hides behind her shoulder in a seductive manner only to reveal the tiniest smile, suggesting that a 3-some is normal. Young women see this ad and believe they have to advance in abstract sexual behavior in order to be loved, accepted, and beautiful. This is the “Bandwagon” technique of persuasion.
The company’s “Simple Solutions” method uses sexuality as their main objective to make women believe owning Dolce & Gabbana’s purse instantly makes you a man magnet. Since the woman wearing the purse is acting in a provocative manner, it makes women think only desirable, gorgeous, and racy women own this brand. It gives women a bad name, signifying all women are sexually promiscuous. The ad is inappropriate and offensive because it disrespects women. The female model is an object. She stares at the camera with dismay. The chain grasping her shoulder tells viewers she feels trapped in the 3-some. She isn’t enjoying it, but the two men are. Their eyes focus on the female. For them, the act is pleasurable. In addition, the ad is impractical. It is ridiculous to have a purse in bed and the tangled, upside down position, is unrealistic. Women should not promote this behavior, so why would they buy the purse?
The purse covers the model’s entire tiny body, creating the illusion that this is beauty. It shows men how all women should look and act. It tells women, “Buy this purse, and men will love you.” This is “The Big Lie”. An object does not bring love and beauty.
The ad lacks the purse’s cost, fabric, texture, construction and special features. Lack of description takes away from the product and leaves customers wondering, what else does the purse promise besides sex and beauty? The ad exploits women and subtracts from the purse. Dolce & Gabbana should use a truthful ad that advertises the quality of their product. If the company showed an average looking female using the purse in a work setting, or shopping, the ad would portray the purse as a functional, fashionable product for all women. When people recognize the ad’s flaws, Dolce & Gabbana offend their viewers and encourage women and young girls to give into society’s pressure to act sexually audacious.