My Favorite Shirt This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Love. It’s a simple but overused word. I love you. I love this song! I absolutely loved that movie! The word doesn’t mean much anymore, not to most. Some people scoff at it. We throw it around like a used shirt, wearing it because it’s comfortable, safe, and secure, but never truly understanding why we have it. We lend it out, forget about it, and years later, we think, “Hey, I really liked that shirt.”

But do we care? No. It’s probably gone now, thrown away because of a rip or sold for $3 at a garage sale. We forget; it doesn’t matter after that.

Then we see the world fall apart. From the safety of our living rooms we watch amateur video on the news or Internet, and sometimes we feel so helpless and alone we’re not sure what to do. We cry for the inhumanity, scream for the injustice, and wonder why the world is this way. We think we can change the world; we know we want to help those who need it most … then we remember that T-shirt we threw out years ago.

We want it back; we fight and scramble for it. We go out and buy new shirts, try them on, but none seems to fit. We’ve lost it – we’ve lost love. We are unnerved for a bit; we sit alone and beat ourselves up for letting it go. Then we just we shrug it off. We say, “I’ll do it later” or “I’m too busy.” I’m guilty of it too: “I don’t have the right resources” or “I’m too young” or “No one will care.” And it seems as if no one does. With high school students only bent on the next party or who’s dating whom, you wonder if, in the end, their shirts were ever worn.

Is my generation going to save the world? We try, a small group of us, but our shirts are faded among the bright colors of greed and the everyday and the wanting. We are pushed into the background. We try to push our way through the crowds, and we truly wonder: where has the love gone?

I don’t want my love to fade; though my shirt is tattered and worn, I wear it daily. I am honest and open, and when I say that simple, dead, four-letter word, I mean it. I know I’ve made mistakes with it in the past and I almost threw my shirt away; I carry it carefully now. It’s close to my heart, where it’s meant to be. I do lend it out every once in a while – I let those who need it try it on and feel the safety that I feel. I leave them pieces when I go, but my shirt never seems to tear. It stays just as simple as it ever was.

When the time comes, I will stand alone in this world and stare into the eyes of those with the shirts of greed and want and lust, and I will know that even though mine is not the most beautiful shirt in the crowd, it’s among the best.

Mmbusch This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

SO good! This piece is amazing and definitely my favorite on Teen Ink. How old are you?? (Rhetorical) You seem ages old with wisdom! 

:) I really really liked this. I will be going back and reading it again. 

Lostonaplanet said...
I love the way this is written and the metaphor! Amazing work! :)

Phantom_Girl This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Fantatstic metaphor! You really are an excellent writer!

NiaraStorm said...

This is really great...I do (truly) love this and you are a very inspirational writer. This reminds me of one of my favorite Nicholas Sparks quotes:

"Love is more than three words mumbled before bedtime. Love is sustained by action, a pattern of devotion in the things we do for each other every day." - Nicholas Sparks

amybug said...
Wow, this really changed my whole persepective on the word. I never really thought about it, but now I will. You are an amazing writer!

br123 said...
I disagree that the word "love" is dead. Love is not gone either. People still have happy and loving relationships with boyfriends and husbands. Also, the world is not going to end because one teenager says to another that they love each other. It's all teenagers trying to figure out what love is. And once they realize that maybe what they felt in ninth grade isn't the same as what they felt when they were married. Love can mean a number of things, and sometimes kids say things they don't mean. ... (more »)

red-head replied...
hey, yea I agree with br123. The word love means different things, I mean you don't give the same love to all people after all really we never give the same type of love twice! I really liked the opinion it was well writen and I liked concept! :)  

marzapan replied...

well, u see, heres the thing, they may be trying to find out wat love is, but it dousnt meen they have to give their shirt away every time a new crush comes into their lives

ThreeCheers said...
This is amazing. It makes me think of the song "Mad As Rabbits" by Panic! At the Disco. At the end of it, they sing "We must reinvent love, reinvent love" and I've been wondering if anyone feels the same way that I do, that we need to reinvent love, because it doesn't mean anything anymore. 

TuffGurl said...
this is an article that makes me feel... comfortable. this is a comfort article, i believe. it's hard to describe, but the words are round, comfortable, soft; I imagine a comfortable bed to sleep in, one that you've slept in for years and is fitted to your figure. that's what this article is to me. 

Wicked-princess replied...
this article was absolute genius i agree with tuffgirl it was comfortable an warming an really made me think how we throw taht word around

AgnotTheOdd said...
Aug. 11, 2010 at 1:07 am

That was good.  I read the first paragraph and then knew I would click the 5-star button.  Best article I've read on this site and actually one of the only articles I've bothered to read the entire thing.  I'm jealous

It was brilliant

CheerBabe said...
I really love this piece! Your insight on the word love is unique and I never realized how much we take it for granted until I read your article. You should really continue with opinionated pieces, your views are right on point and may inspire other writers to go for the same unique insight!!!! Keep up the good work!

xxDreamingWriterxx said...
I love the analogy you used here.  It is very creative and I don't think I would have ever thought of it.  I love your writing style! 

luckyducky4This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...

i love this its so unique and so true its one of my  favorite articles that i have read hear

keep writing ur really good!!!!!!

cara_ruegg said...
very inspiring and beautifully written. you are most def a talented writer and this was a wonderful concept. keep it up!

tianaxbiddy said...
it depends onhow u use the word love well who you say it to and how you say it to them. i admit i use love A LOT but wen i tell my bf i love him i say it differently,im not saying it as a habit. i am saying it because i do love him.

babigerl1194 said...
mindblowing and inspirational. i love love loved it. for real. and and i agree completely. and now wish i knew you...

Niftygrrl said...

I think it's funny How everyone avoided say " I love this!! *screams like fan girl*" Haha This is truly my favorite piece of whatever it is!

I sent it to everybody i know!I Love it! =]

Playuca37 said...
awsome!