My Favorite Shirt This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Love. It’s a simple but overused word. I love you. I love this song! I absolutely loved that movie! The word doesn’t mean much anymore, not to most. Some people scoff at it. We throw it around like a used shirt, wearing it because it’s comfortable, safe, and secure, but never truly understanding why we have it. We lend it out, forget about it, and years later, we think, “Hey, I really liked that shirt.”

But do we care? No. It’s probably gone now, thrown away because of a rip or sold for $3 at a garage sale. We forget; it doesn’t matter after that.

Then we see the world fall apart. From the safety of our living rooms we watch amateur video on the news or Internet, and sometimes we feel so helpless and alone we’re not sure what to do. We cry for the inhumanity, scream for the injustice, and wonder why the world is this way. We think we can change the world; we know we want to help those who need it most … then we remember that T-shirt we threw out years ago.

We want it back; we fight and scramble for it. We go out and buy new shirts, try them on, but none seems to fit. We’ve lost it – we’ve lost love. We are unnerved for a bit; we sit alone and beat ourselves up for letting it go. Then we just we shrug it off. We say, “I’ll do it later” or “I’m too busy.” I’m guilty of it too: “I don’t have the right resources” or “I’m too young” or “No one will care.” And it seems as if no one does. With high school students only bent on the next party or who’s dating whom, you wonder if, in the end, their shirts were ever worn.

Is my generation going to save the world? We try, a small group of us, but our shirts are faded among the bright colors of greed and the everyday and the wanting. We are pushed into the background. We try to push our way through the crowds, and we truly wonder: where has the love gone?

I don’t want my love to fade; though my shirt is tattered and worn, I wear it daily. I am honest and open, and when I say that simple, dead, four-letter word, I mean it. I know I’ve made mistakes with it in the past and I almost threw my shirt away; I carry it carefully now. It’s close to my heart, where it’s meant to be. I do lend it out every once in a while – I let those who need it try it on and feel the safety that I feel. I leave them pieces when I go, but my shirt never seems to tear. It stays just as simple as it ever was.

When the time comes, I will stand alone in this world and stare into the eyes of those with the shirts of greed and want and lust, and I will know that even though mine is not the most beautiful shirt in the crowd, it’s among the best.

DaydreamBeliever This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
That's so true. Even the littlest thing to you can mean a lot to someone else. :)

I love it! That's exactly how I feel about my place in the world. Forgotten and unimportant.

Beautifully written :)

MusicLuvsUs said...
Mar. 19, 2011 at 2:50 am
After I was done reading this it made me think of the line in the song, "Chasing Cars" by Snow Patrol, "Those three words are said too much, but not enough." It expresses the same thought and it's one of the lines that made me fall in love with that song. I really enjoyed reading this because it made me think about the fact that people flant aroung saying "hate" too much also.

BitterSweet1993 said...
Mar. 17, 2011 at 10:46 am
Amazing! <3

Lenah said...
okay, just decided to say this since we're like, on the subject. last school year i was on the bus and this kid kept telling this girl things like 'shut up no one likes you' or 'i hope you die' and stuff like that and she started crying so i went and sat by her and put my arm around her and i think that she will remember that because the next day she told me that it helped her, and i think that sometimes people need to have love shown from people they hardly know because that's the strongest ser... (more »)

jazzy16 said...
You're story is great! Good metaphor and I never thought of it that way. It's really cool how you took such an ordinary everyday thing and related it to something that perhaps we wear out everyday.

AthenaBook said...
WOW! Great story; I really liked how you tied it to the real world in such an obvious, yet hidden, way. Fabulous job!

amzazinLily said...
My boyfriend agrees with you. He think the word 'love' is overused by teens and adults! He only sais, 'love' when he REALLY means it.

ilovepasta said...
Feb. 25, 2011 at 9:44 am
This is so true. The shirt is an excellent metaphor for love, because people use and abuse their clothing and throw it out not really caring that it is gone. Many teenagers do this with love; they tell people they love someone, not caring what happens in the future. They just have someone now.

jbaker0184 replied...
Its like your username love is ued a lot.

Ehwaz11 said...

great overall metaphor:

"When the time comes, I will stand alone in this world and stare into the eyes of those with the shirts of greed and want and lust, and I will know that even though mine is not the most beautiful shirt in the crowd, it’s among the best."

we'll be standing beside you!

WeLiveForScarsThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I really praise the use of a metaphor, however I do think that you wore it out to a certain extent. You are an amazing writer though, I'd love to see more metaphors!

Chuckney said...
I like your sentiment to a degree and your writing is nice, except I think the shirt metaphor is being stretched a bit far and it would have been better to ease up a bit. Good piece though.

Littlecupcakedancer said...
We're reading this kind of stuff, opinion stuff for school. Yeah its really good! I love it. I like  how you refer it to a shirt

FireandWater This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jan. 19, 2011 at 9:39 am
really like this, they way it's written in awesome, and the idea is awesome!  keep going!  :)

Anabelle said...
the metaphor of love and the shirt is really clever. it makes it very easy to understand and relate to =]

Poznma M. said...
The usage of language is really good. This is  one of the most cleverly and artistically written article. It is just awesome !

marzapan said...
it is one of the most heartfelt, and absolutly true things i have ever read, it was butiful, i just hope that  your worn shirt, mine will never be thrown away or torn 

jaineba said...
this is a beautiful essay , that i have fallen in luv with :)

Save1 said...
Impressive. It was moving. thanks.