My Favorite Shirt MAG

Love. It’s a simple but overused word. I love you. I love this song! I absolutely loved that movie! The word doesn’t mean much anymore, not to most. Some people scoff at it. We throw it around like a used shirt, wearing it because it’s comfortable, safe, and secure, but never truly understanding why we have it. We lend it out, forget about it, and years later, we think, “Hey, I really liked that shirt.”

But do we care? No. It’s probably gone now, thrown away because of a rip or sold for $3 at a garage sale. We forget; it doesn’t matter after that.

Then we see the world fall apart. From the safety of our living rooms we watch amateur video on the news or Internet, and sometimes we feel so helpless and alone we’re not sure what to do. We cry for the inhumanity, scream for the injustice, and wonder why the world is this way. We think we can change the world; we know we want to help those who need it most … then we remember that T-shirt we threw out years ago.

We want it back; we fight and scramble for it. We go out and buy new shirts, try them on, but none seems to fit. We’ve lost it – we’ve lost love. We are unnerved for a bit; we sit alone and beat ourselves up for letting it go. Then we just we shrug it off. We say, “I’ll do it later” or “I’m too busy.” I’m guilty of it too: “I don’t have the right resources” or “I’m too young” or “No one will care.” And it seems as if no one does. With high school students only bent on the next party or who’s dating whom, you wonder if, in the end, their shirts were ever worn.

Is my generation going to save the world? We try, a small group of us, but our shirts are faded among the bright colors of greed and the everyday and the wanting. We are pushed into the background. We try to push our way through the crowds, and we truly wonder: where has the love gone?

I don’t want my love to fade; though my shirt is tattered and worn, I wear it daily. I am honest and open, and when I say that simple, dead, four-letter word, I mean it. I know I’ve made mistakes with it in the past and I almost threw my shirt away; I carry it carefully now. It’s close to my heart, where it’s meant to be. I do lend it out every once in a while – I let those who need it try it on and feel the safety that I feel. I leave them pieces when I go, but my shirt never seems to tear. It stays just as simple as it ever was.

When the time comes, I will stand alone in this world and stare into the eyes of those with the shirts of greed and want and lust, and I will know that even though mine is not the most beautiful shirt in the crowd, it’s among the best.

on May. 24 2013 at 1:44 pm
Bliss007 SILVER, Los Angeles, Other

Marilyn Monroe

It's really good and true. I liked the metaphor

AliMotamedi said...
on May. 14 2013 at 8:48 am
AliMotamedi, Ampang, Other
the way you write is beautiful, natural and very calm. and i want to thank you for writing something like this. 

on Apr. 27 2013 at 9:22 pm
Wings10FeetTall GOLD, Myrtle Beach, South Carolina

May your words be sharp.
- Christopher Paolini

Nobody's going to wait for you, so do it now.
-Ingrid Michaelson

Broken hearts heal, but never the same.
- Jessica Romo

Idiots rely on luck.
-Sherlock Holmes

I totally agree with you.

on Apr. 3 2013 at 1:15 pm
TargonTheDragon GOLD, Ofallon, Missouri

First dentistry was painless.
Then bicycles were chainless,
Carriages were horseless,
And many laws enforceless.

Next cookery was fireless,
Telegraphy was wireless,
Cigars were nicotineless,
And coffee caffeineless.

Soon oranges were seedless,
The putting green was weedless,
The college boy was hatless,
The proper diet fatless.

New motor roads are dustless,
The latest steel is rustless,
Our tennis courts are sodless,
Our new religion — godless.

your writing, though an article only, is so poetic! so descriptive! i loved it (and when i say that i mean it!) and i totally agree with you.

on Mar. 30 2013 at 11:38 pm
Jade.I.Am ELITE, Fishers, Indiana

“If you're losing your soul and you know it, then you've still got a soul left to lose”
― Charles Bukowski

You're so talented. I can relate to this, well done! :P

on Feb. 22 2013 at 7:12 am
cornflower_glass SILVER, Seongbuk-gu, Other
funny and inspiring and sad at the same time. beautifully written<3

disintegrate said...
on Feb. 9 2013 at 1:14 am
disintegrate, Campbellville, Other

"I go to seek a great perhaps."

I love the metaphor in this, it's well thought out and beautifully written.

Klammyt GOLD said...
on Dec. 13 2012 at 8:21 pm
Klammyt GOLD, San Diego, California

"Remember you're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think."
-Christopher Robin to Pooh

This was really good. Love and T-shirts work surprisingly well together! Keep writing!

on Nov. 16 2012 at 8:05 pm
Swims.M.V. GOLD, Albuquerque, New Mexico

"If you're not practicing, somebody else is, somewhere, and he'll be ready to take your job."
-Brooks Robinson

I really enjoyed reading this, I almost said I "loved" it but then I remembered to save that worn out four letter word for those who need it. I never would have put this comparison together in my mind. Good work! :)

on Oct. 13 2012 at 7:34 pm
Bradical BRONZE, Morgantown, West Virginia

“I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately, I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life, To put to rout all that was not life and not when I had come to die Discover that I had not lived.” --Henry David Thoreau

The way you present this idea of love and how many people think the word is overused is quite refreshing. To be able to relate two things that are seemingly unrelated really does take a lot of talent and wisdom (As well as some cleverness). I hope to see more compositions like this in the future.

briana78 said...
on Oct. 11 2012 at 2:01 pm
This story was so touching because there is so many people that just shout out i love you to anyone they meet.Its amazing how you used a shirt to ge through to people. This article was just amazing.

on Oct. 11 2012 at 1:57 pm
Most people wouldnt think that way, and when you actually think about it, it makes sense

Setizia GOLD said...
on Jul. 15 2012 at 10:12 am
Setizia GOLD, Darnestown, Maryland

The purpose of life is to search eternally for the purpose of life

I never thought about that particular analogy, of love and T-shirts. But it works out terrifically, and it makes for an engaging, intriguing opinion essay.

I would also like to mention, after ridding oneself of the "T-shirt," many people don't want it back. They get caught up in their assumed "coolness" and become prejudiced. Unless something strikes them hard, it is likely they won't start looking for it again. Because of this, they end up thinking that their childhood with the possession of this shirt was immature and stupid, and neglect it.

on Jun. 17 2012 at 11:43 pm
Pika_Princess, Escondido, California
Beautifully written; I really liked the comparison. I never thought about love that way. Great job!

on Jun. 15 2012 at 6:26 pm
believe@faith BRONZE, RosharonTexas, Texas

"Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice,
because the flow that has passed will never pass again....
enjoy everyday of life"

Love has faded away..... Where is it?

on Jun. 15 2012 at 6:24 pm

"Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice,
enjoy everyday of life"

Love the symbolism, comparison, and imagery you use to compare "love" with a t- shirt :) nice

Therese GOLD said...
on May. 10 2012 at 10:34 am
Therese GOLD, Thayer, Missouri

"I cry a tear in the ocean. The day you find it will be the day i stop missing you."

That was amazing! I loved it!

on May. 9 2012 at 11:35 pm
writer@heart16, Henderson, Nevada

"Never give up on something you can't go a day without thinking about." "I'm the author of my life and unfortunately, I'm writing in pen." "Who would I be without myself?" "The rest is still unwritten..."

All I have to say: Wow. This was incredible. I especially liked this part: "Is my generation going to save the world? We try, a small group of us, but our shirts are faded among the bright colors of greed and the everyday and the wanting. We are pushed into the background. We try to push our way through the crowds, and we truly wonder: where has the love gone?" It really hit home with me. Please write more!!!

irishlass317 said...
on May. 1 2012 at 11:12 pm
irishlass317, Jefferson City, Missouri

"I asked Jesus 'How much do you love me?' He answered 'This much.' And He streched out His arms and died."

Oh my goodness, this is amazing!!! You did such a beautiful job writing this, and i completely agree.  <3

on Apr. 29 2012 at 2:54 pm
AcrossTheUniverse BRONZE, Hondo, Texas

"Go confidentally in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've always imagined." -Thoreau

Well written, meaningful, and beautiful.

SciArc

MacMillan Books

Aspiring Writer? Take Our Online Course!