My Favorite Shirt This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Love. It’s a simple but overused word. I love you. I love this song! I absolutely loved that movie! The word doesn’t mean much anymore, not to most. Some people scoff at it. We throw it around like a used shirt, wearing it because it’s comfortable, safe, and secure, but never truly understanding why we have it. We lend it out, forget about it, and years later, we think, “Hey, I really liked that shirt.”

But do we care? No. It’s probably gone now, thrown away because of a rip or sold for $3 at a garage sale. We forget; it doesn’t matter after that.

Then we see the world fall apart. From the safety of our living rooms we watch amateur video on the news or Internet, and sometimes we feel so helpless and alone we’re not sure what to do. We cry for the inhumanity, scream for the injustice, and wonder why the world is this way. We think we can change the world; we know we want to help those who need it most … then we remember that T-shirt we threw out years ago.

We want it back; we fight and scramble for it. We go out and buy new shirts, try them on, but none seems to fit. We’ve lost it – we’ve lost love. We are unnerved for a bit; we sit alone and beat ourselves up for letting it go. Then we just we shrug it off. We say, “I’ll do it later” or “I’m too busy.” I’m guilty of it too: “I don’t have the right resources” or “I’m too young” or “No one will care.” And it seems as if no one does. With high school students only bent on the next party or who’s dating whom, you wonder if, in the end, their shirts were ever worn.

Is my generation going to save the world? We try, a small group of us, but our shirts are faded among the bright colors of greed and the everyday and the wanting. We are pushed into the background. We try to push our way through the crowds, and we truly wonder: where has the love gone?

I don’t want my love to fade; though my shirt is tattered and worn, I wear it daily. I am honest and open, and when I say that simple, dead, four-letter word, I mean it. I know I’ve made mistakes with it in the past and I almost threw my shirt away; I carry it carefully now. It’s close to my heart, where it’s meant to be. I do lend it out every once in a while – I let those who need it try it on and feel the safety that I feel. I leave them pieces when I go, but my shirt never seems to tear. It stays just as simple as it ever was.

When the time comes, I will stand alone in this world and stare into the eyes of those with the shirts of greed and want and lust, and I will know that even though mine is not the most beautiful shirt in the crowd, it’s among the best.

dragonbiscuits This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This was marvelous! And very true, great job!

sunsetclimber said...
amazing. very reflective of our society today i think. you did a great job

Sinfulullabies said...
I'm very impressed with this article. The comparison between love and a t-shirt is absolutely perfect. I think anyone can relate to this article, and if you continue you will definitely be a successful writer one day (:

Averycullen said...
Jan. 17, 2010 at 9:27 am:
I really liked this. It was very thoughtful. You should be a psychiatrist.

riahcakes said...
Jan. 16, 2010 at 12:29 am:
The metaphor was sorta out there, but ehh what's creativity nowadays? And I have a question: You say love is overused, but if it is indeed "overused" then...why is there not much love in the world?
Doesn't the world need all the love it can get? Get piece (:

ladytrojan said...
i dont like the metaphor tht much.

spiceyredpper replied...
Jan. 8, 2010 at 11:36 am :
wow..dats really metaphor

spiceyredpepper said...
umm wowzers deep much! i liked it!

BillyJoeBobKellyGeorge This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This piece is very impressive, for lack of a better word. More importantly, it runs true in anyone's life in its entirety, that love is one of those words said too much, but not said enough. i LOVE your writing, and hopefully you'll continue to express your thoughts in this artistic, metaphorical way. Peace, ♥, and happiness!

KarianaGold said...
Nov. 29, 2009 at 11:40 am:
this is perfect

AmnyR said...
great analogy!

savinGrace said...
Amazing! When you come across work like this, you can't help, (being a writer and all), but wish that you were the one to think of such brilliance! Wow, just beautiful and so true!

Knile97 said...
Good point!

AbstractArtist101 replied...
Jun. 28, 2010 at 3:02 pm :
I'm dead serious, that was amazing!

grnlver114 said...
Oct. 7, 2009 at 12:23 am:
I totally loved it. Its like one of my favorite articles on here.

EnsignDelaneyTucker said...
May 11, 2009 at 2:04 pm:
Great metaphor. I often think of love as a shirt as well...

This got the point across. :) I loved it!

Napashya R. replied...
Dec. 16, 2009 at 6:07 pm :
i think of the word love as a shirt to because like (for example) wiyhout a shirt is like haven no love

Elvin S. said...
Yeah. Its a difficult message to put across but its still great work!

I think using two analogys woul have been better than using one powerful ne.

bean said...
Feb. 27, 2009 at 2:07 am:
Parts of this really confused me, but other parts were moving in the weirdest way and I almost cried. Good Work! :]