To Suppress Emotion or Not, That is My Question

Emotions. the interesting little oddities that make life worth living, But is it possible to live without them? In Gene Roddenberry’s “Star Trek” series The fictional humanoid race known as the “Vulcans” use certain techniques to suppress all emotion and totally embrace logic. Is this stark philosophy even possible? Is it, at all, possible to completely suppress all emotion and, by doing so, become impartial to everything and anything. Judges would not have to excuse themselves form active duty because of an emotional standpoint, police would not be blinded by their own emotional baggage during a case or suddenly be sickened by the sight of a mutilated corpse.

Personally, and almost everyone I know agrees with me, think that emotions are the things that make life worth living. In the late 1980 to the early 1990s A study was done on children in Russian orphanages. Many of the children were left half naked in their own filth with an emotional disorder called RAD(Reactive attachment disorder). The children had little to no emotion because they did not learn how to react to peoples advances. All in all emotions can and will get the better of you if you let them, but that is no reason to suppress any emotion all the time.

TheCapturedBat This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Dec. 6, 2011 at 9:11 am

I agree completely