Should Marriages Be Arranged by Parents?

The problem that arises between parents and children of becoming age is whether or not his or her marriage should be arranged. This problem arises more in the Eastern civilization as compared to the Western due to traditions, customs and religion. It is obvious that many parents agree that it should be arranged while the children think otherwise. This problem occurs in almost every household eventually.

If it is arranged by the parents of the child then it most likely would be a success and a failure. It would be a success because the parents are more thorough in their search of a spouse for their, hopefully, soon to be wed child. So the chances of them choosing a person of a bad background, and unfaithful personality are very slim. So in that perspective, the marriage would be successful. However, the chances of their child to lead a happy life are also slim, as they may grow to hate their spouses and refuse to have children with him or her. So in this case the marriage would be a failure.

If it is a love marriage and not arranged by the parents, then it would most likely be a success and a failure. It would be a failure as our generation is much more reckless, spontaneous and much more unwise which could lead to a disaster. The child may choose an irresponsible, unfaithful, or/and inappropriate spouse. They may not care about his or her past, but that could lead to the collapse of not only their marriage, but their lives. However, the marriage could be proved successful. If it was a love marriage, then obviously, they would marry someone they love or deeply care about. So no matter how short and unsuccessful their marriage may be there would be some moments in which the child would be extremely happy, and isn’t that happiness worth all the trouble?

In my opinion, I think that no matter what we do, the marriage would be a success and a fail despite many cases. I do agree that many marriages arranged and love have been proved quite successful, but do you, whether you’re the parent or child, want to take such a high risk? Would you be ready for the consequences that can come in either marriage? I think that everyone should marry the one we love, however I do not agree with having the risk of a short, abrupt and unhappy marriage. So, I think that the child and the parents should have a say in the marriage, because this event in one’s life could affect it drastically. No matter if the marriage is arranged or not, there would be many ups and downs we must face, but the parents and children should face them together.

Nick5This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Your "attempt at an english essay...[was] a sucess and a failure" I was able to shoot your arguement full of holes because of your listing. Your topic was noble; you just needed to get your ideas across better.

Erudite replied...
Dec. 3, 2011 at 2:32 am :
Thanks for the advice. For future reference, what can i do to improve it?

Nick5This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Dec. 3, 2011 at 2:44 pm :

1. Don't list. Every paragraph is started with another version of: "it was a sucess and a failure" or "Marriage should be arranged or not arranged". 

2. Find an arguement that will blow your reader's mind and be backed up by statistical evidence or quotation.

3. No "I think"s, it weakens your arguement one hundredfold.

4. Read Sin Boldly! by David R. Williams, Ph. D.

That is all I, a thirteen year-old kid, has to say about inproving your writi... (more »)

Erudite replied...
Dec. 3, 2011 at 11:00 pm :
Thanks so much. I wrote this..i dunno when, but i'll keep this in mind!

nutmeg123 said...
you make a good point. Arranged marriges can be good to a certain extent. Of course, insensetive arrangements can be formed by parents hoping for money or power, and can end miserably for the two who do not love each other. Old slave marriges were usually formed by plantation owners who wanted to merge two plantations or simply for more slaves to occupy their fields. In our time and back then, once in a blue moon arranged marriges could end up in love and happiness between the two people, which ... (more »)

Erudite replied...
Nov. 26, 2010 at 6:25 am :
your absolutely right.. =) i like your thinking.. haha..

rabit replied...
Sept. 5, 2011 at 11:33 am :
i get what your saying...personaly i would like an arranged marrige my self ;)

nutmeg123This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Sept. 5, 2011 at 1:16 pm :
you would? personally, if i absolutley had no choice, i would make my parents compile a list of "suitable" guys for me to pick from. I think thats a good compromise :) 

Erudite replied...
Sept. 6, 2011 at 8:56 am :
Truth be told, its a custom kinda thing for arranged marriages in my family. But its not like i wont know the dude when the time comes, i'll get to choose fromt the suitable 'canidates' :P Old fashioned, hm?