Relationships and Us

Relationships are a major part of anyone's life. though they are not always good, they can have a extraordinary impact on someone's life. Some people are in the kind of relationship that seems almost too good to be true, and others are in a relationship that feels like you are almost certain that certain disaster will come of it and that you are scared of the other person. In an average relationship there are two categories that you could fall into. The reacher and the settler. The reacher is someone who would do anything to date someone of a higher social or monetary class. this is most commonly seen among high school students who have been outcasts or neglected from social events such as dances, stuco reps, etc. Then there are the Settlers who settle for a lower class individual to go out with due to a multitude of reasons from trying to be modest to feeling sorry for the reacher and his/her determined attempts to try to go out with a higher class individual. Settlers are usually the less dominant individual and generally does what the reacher wants them to so as to make the reacher feel as if he/she is in power. Most people don't like to admit that they are either one but that is the general format of most relationships that I have observed in my community and other areas that I have recently visited. There are only a few instances that I have seen a reacher with a reacher and a settler with a settler but those are few.

JuliaGraceS said...
Aug. 31, 2011 at 11:25 am
This is a very interesting piece! I like how you divide people into two different groups: reacher and settler. I think with a little more revising, this article could be really great. You have a few sentences you could inprove (your thesis and closing statement), and few repetitive words. If you clean those up I think it will read much smoother. But overall, good job! :)

leafy This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Aug. 31, 2011 at 9:24 am
So in this, there were a lot of errors, but spelling and grammatical, and no paragraphs or data to support your opinion, and its a bit confusing.And I just don't agree it, I've seen those type of people just about as much as any other type, even less. I won't go into the specific reasons why don't agree with this, because that isn't the point of this point, but basically what I'm saying is that you need to work on yourmpieces a bit more before you submit them, it seems like a rough draft to me. ... (more »)

ChocoMint said...
I really liked it.  I caught just a couple of grammar mistakes though.  You said "certain" twice in the same sentence and there were a few capitalization mistakes.  Oh, this is just a personal opinion of a reader, but when you used "him/her" frequently, it ruined the flow a little bit. I would suggest using the neutral word "them" and so on.  Other than that, it was good.  Keep it up.  =+)

Hazel-daisy This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
this is interesting and different! i don't think many would observe something like thing! it orginial which i like! good job! :)

Megan.J.B said...
Aug. 21, 2011 at 9:05 am

This was interesting to read as I have never heard anything like this before, although I can't say that I agree with you. I do have a few points to make though:

1) The piece was rife with grammatical and spelling errors.

2) You stated your opinion far too strongly; almost as if it was fact, without as much as statistical data or thorough explanation.

3) The length was odd, and there were no discernable paragraphs.

Keep up the work, but this is rough. I would like t... (more »)

Garnet77 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Aug. 21, 2011 at 2:12 am
You have an interesting point of view. It was a pretty good article, but you could definitely work on some errors in grammar, etc. I'm not sure I completely agree with you, but I've never really thought about it before. Pretty good article though. :)

Danealle said...

Please read your story out loud next time. If the word that comes after "a" starts with a vowel then "a" changes to "an." You NEED more Ethos, Pathos, and Logos. 

As a journalist, I think this is too short as an opinion. 

CarrieAnn13 said...

Okay, I have a lot of criticism.

1.  Work on your grammar.  You need to capitalize some words and use commas way more often.  Some of your sentences are awkward as well.

2.  Back up your assertions.  Have you really never seen love?  Are there only 'reachers' and 'settlers'?  Of course not.  So try to find statistics or facts (if there even are any) that back up your opinions.

3.  Break up your work into paragraphs to make it e... (more »)

JoPepper said...
I'm not sure that I completely agree with you. While sometimes that is true.  But I think that a majority of the it's actually love.  There were a few grammer errors.  Keep writing.

Medina D. said...

um....................what??

reacher, settler? Category?

What you have mistaken, Kevin, is that while you've been writing this, have you thought very closely about what your writing about? LOVE is what your writing about, when you say all this. LOVE.

LOVE is a deep emotion. It cant be categorized. You cant just go up to someone and ask "are you a settler or a reacher?" It doesnt work that way. Some people have strong feelings for others NOT from sympathy or cause they wer... (more »)

Kevin L. replied...
Dec. 1, 2010 at 8:20 am
As a matter of fact I have not been mildly infatuated or even had the tiniest inkling of  crush with anyone. I have not asked these people their life story but I have taken the time to to observe these people carefully and have concluded that 78% is the mean average of the 14 relationships that I have observed. Most people resent my point of view but you are entitled to your own opinion and i respect that you resent me and even somewhat like that you have your own opinion and ... (more »)

Medina D. replied...
oh..................well, thank you

Kevin L. replied...

Thank you for your input

lnvo97 said...
this is a very one one pointed view of a relationship. if you notice even further between some couples that there are true feelings between what you call "Settlers" and "Reachers". i believe you need to take a closer look at the perfect IT couple and all other couples before you even make up your mind. but other than that, good article.  :D

Kevin L. replied...
I shall take your advisements into consideration but if you look closer at my article it said that those are relationships that I observed and i also mentioned that there are successful relationships and that a good portion of relationships are about this format. But this is only 1 point of view and i resect that you have another and i will take this into consideration if i write another relationship article. Feel free to visit my other articles as well, as i shall be writing more  and have... (more »)