Teenage Love is Fictional | Teen Ink

Teenage Love is Fictional

October 7, 2010
By Snikerdoodle PLATINUM, Leander, Texas
Snikerdoodle PLATINUM, Leander, Texas
21 articles 2 photos 18 comments

Oh, the aches and pains of young love. So bittersweet to taste. In all honesty, I’m actually pretty disgusted with it right now. It just seems like a whole lot of drama for no reason.
Sorry if I come off as cynical, it’s just......when I’m in a relationship, I want the guy to first and foremost want to be my friend. Guys our age, no offense, only seem driven by what physically is going on between you. It seems as if they think of nothing else.
Yes, so the physical stuff is important, but a relationship founded on physical interaction not only will be unhealthy but will probably never last. So why do you expect me to throw everything I’ve got into something that’s going to probably last two months tops, before the soppy break up starts, and then the ever present box of tissues appear, until finally I realize that the guy was a jerk to begin with? Why does the world expect that from girls?
It sure seems like a lot of wasted emotion for a whole lot of pain.
Why do we subject ourselves to this?
Why? When we know from the start that it’s going to crash and burn in front of us.
Burying our dreams, fantasies, and wishes in a humongous pile of ash.
I mean, how often do you hear of teenagers having a steady relationship? And if they do, aren’t they always sleeping together at least?
So in the world of teenage love, a girl has to have sex with a guy in order for him to want to stay with her? Why is that?
Probably because he wants it, and the only reason he stays with his girlfriend is because he knows he can get it whenever he wants with her.
I’m not trying to slam guys, I know there are exceptions. Heck, my two best friends in the whole world are guys. I just have come to the conclusion that they make great friends and lousy boyfriends until the age of about twenty-five.
Believe me when I tell you I want to love and be loved.
But as much as I wish I had that one special guy who cared about me for me, and not for how far I’d go with him, I have to quit fooling myself. I need to get on with my life.
Enough waiting for Prince Charming. It’s like waiting for Santa Claus......useless. After all, they both are fictional.


The author's comments:
I'm not meaning to offend anyone and would love to hear from people who completely disagree and want to make a point of it.