The Meaning of Family | Teen Ink

The Meaning of Family

September 15, 2010
By Jess_Lynn SILVER, Southaven, Mississippi
Jess_Lynn SILVER, Southaven, Mississippi
5 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
LIve Life to the Fullest and Make Every Day Count


When did the meaning and/or value of family change? Family used to mean being there when someone called on you for help with something,eating around the dinner table,and loving the ones that loved you back. Now you are lucky to find a family that does any of that. Over half the kids in america have a broken family and can't tell you the last time they actually spent time with their family. America has given up on the concept of family,and taken to electronics and other things. For many kids the meaning of family is coming in from school and saying hi to mom or dad then going to their room to play video games,talk on the phone,or do absolutly nothig at all. I can't believe that america has let the meaning of family actually slip away like that. Your family is something that should be held close to your heart,and not let go because once they are gone there is nothing you can do to get them back. You should cherish every bit of time you can get with your family and remember that they love you for who and what you are not what you have and you may never find that again.


The author's comments:
I have a broken family. My parents are divorced and have been my whole life. My father had not spoken to me in 2 years until April 22,2009 when my sister was killed in a car wreck. He spoke to me 2 weeks after the funeral but since then hasn't said one thing to me. I know what it's like to have a broken family and where you may not care now it will get to you just like it has me,and IT HURTS!!