Cheating: To forgive, or not to forgive.

According to Authorsden.com, 45-55% of married women and 50-60% of married men engage in extramarital sex at some time or another during their relationship. This just makes me wonder...if the statistics of cheating are this high with married couples, just how high are the statistics with couples who aren't married. Relationships with no strings attached or expectations seem like they're not even worth it anymore, seeing as how cheating seems inevitable. Are there honest relationships out there anymore? Speaking as a woman who has been cheated on, many times you start to doubt that there's ever going to be a guy that will stay faithful to you. Is it worth the risk?

What drives people to cheat in the first place? Unhappiness? Dis-satisfaction? Falling out of love? The top five reason people cheat, according to shareranks.com, are lust, loneliness, unhappiness, emotionally dissatisfied, and work. Hm...are these really reason? Or excuses? If you truly love someone, wouldn't you only want to be with them and only them? What makes that other person so irresistible to the point of losing your significant other? Some even have families, houses, cars, etc. Is sex really worth all of that?

So in the end, the question is...if you found out your significant other was cheating, would you forgive them, or leave them? Granted, a lot of men and women will say they would leave. But when you truly love someone and they're down on their knees begging you to forgive them and telling you it will never happen again, it's extremely hard to walk away. Could you do it, or would you forgive and forget?

ErinsGoneCrazy said...
Thank you very much. (: I'm very glad you enjoyed it. And it is indeed sad that so many individuals cannot be trusted.

Thesilentraven This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Very interesting and well-written article. It's sad to hear that there are so few 'solid' marriages. Indeed, how much love is true love? Well done, my friend.