It's a Girl Thing | Teen Ink

It's a Girl Thing

August 3, 2010
By DifferentTeen PLATINUM, Seaford, Delaware
DifferentTeen PLATINUM, Seaford, Delaware
32 articles 2 photos 329 comments

Favorite Quote:
"There’s no such thing as true love, just spurts of insanity—falling over and over again, thinking that won’t happen to me"


I'm a girl, a teenage girl. I will say that I can fall head over heels for a boy by just looking at him. But that’s only sometimes. I'm going to try and put that feeling I get oh so often, into words. Wish me luck.

Have you ever seen someone and got that feeling inside? That fuzzy 'oh my god' moment? When all you see is them? Yeah, some people get them all the time; I like to call that "people who hold on to everything that walks by". Only God knows why we have these feelings, after all he put them there. I have a great example, and it’s a typical teenage story. But it's my story.

Three days ago I went to a water park with my mom. I was dreading this, going with my mom. I knew there would be a bunch of cute guys there. Especially since my friend was talking to me on the phone one day and told me the last time she was there, she flirted with this drop dead gorgeous guy. My hopes were way up high. Well I went in a cute little sun dress with my bikini underneath. And to my disliking, my hair was up, unfortunately I didn't have enough time this morning. These petty little things bother me. Well my mom was in a mood. And there weren't any lounge chairs left anywhere, and she was throwing a fit. All of a sudden we walked by the water slide and there, checking people for jewelry was a guy I would describe as 'hot'. He had long tight curly hair, a dark tan, and brown eyes. I tried to play it off, making it look like I didn't care, so he wouldn't see and so my mom wouldn't se. But he was looking, straight at me. I felt me confidence go up in some places and down in others. I was hoping my mom didn't embarrass me. And to make a long story short, she did.

After we got two lounge chairs I slid my dress off and laid in the sun working on my tan. I got hot and went on the slide, hoping he would still be there checking people for jewelry. He wasn't. I cooled off, and went to lie back down in the sun. As I was laying there I thought to myself, look at you, getting all boy crazy over a boy who doesn't even know your name. How could he possibly have noticed me? He works at a water park, he probably sees pretty girls all the time, girls way prettier than me. After some thinking, I got hot again; I looked over and saw he was there! So I told my mom and I strutted over, and with some confidence in my stride, I wore a smirk on my face. I turned the corner and all I saw was him, I felt like I was on a runway and he was the only one looking at me. It felt like forever but it probably was only 5 seconds. I also was happy because I was wearing my revealing bikini. I approached him as he asked "Are you wearing any jewelry?" I shook my head, and he said "Can I see your hands?" It felt like I was floating on a cloud, like I was invincible, there was nothing but me and him. I showed him my hands palms down, and I noticed my thumb's nail polish was messed up; I got mad at that little thing. I wanted to be perfect. He gave a nod and a smile and I walked towards the stairs leading up to the waterslide and he said something, I didn't hear him, I still felt like I was on cloud nine. So I said "What?" and he said "I like the colors." My nails! He liked my rainbow colored nails! Oh my gosh, he does like me! Yes, just because he liked my nail colors I thought he had a thing for me. Well you can bet that was all I thought about while I was making my way up the stairs. And every so often I would look down and stare at him from above. I didn't even see any other boys; all I thought about was him. I was acting so dumb. I was almost to the top when I saw him leave his post and started making his way up the stairs. My heart felt like it was going to explode, he was coming up! I realized he might be coming up to switch posts with the person telling people when to go down the slide. Watching him come closer and closer to me, I was panicking. Did I look okay? When he passed me by he was an inch away, an inch! That feeling came back, and I waited to get to the top of the stairs. When I did, waiting for him to tell me "okay" seemed like a big deal; a big deal that was taking forever. But he didn't even look at me; all he said was "Go ahead". My heart felt like it had been stomped on. And I realized how dramatic I was being. I stepped forward and went down the slide.

And for the past three days he was all I could think about. I feel stupid for acting this way, but I couldn't help it. Boys confuse me, they get me all worked up over nothing. I know it’s dumb but I just can't help it. I guess it’s a girl thing.