Are the Best Relationships Results of Friendships? | Teen Ink

Are the Best Relationships Results of Friendships?

July 30, 2010
By CheerBabe BRONZE, Lexington, South Carolina
CheerBabe BRONZE, Lexington, South Carolina
2 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
What is success? To laugh often and much; To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; To earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; To appreciate beauty; To find the best in others; To leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived; That is to have succeeded.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson


How many times have our peers, our teachers, or our parents told us that the best relationships come from great friendships? Most of us have gotten this advice on several occasions when our love lives seem to be going nowhere. But can this advice be trusted or is it simply just a myth? For some lucky people, this advice may turn out to be true, but from my experience it’s just a myth. Two years ago, I met this guy in my chorus class he was smart, attractive, and athletic- and basically everything I was looking for in a guy. We hit it off right away and soon became very good friends. Before we knew it, the school year had ended and even though we were sad to leave each other, we agreed to stay in touch over the summer. Lucky for us, we both made school sports teams and had to stay in our state for the summer. Every minute that we weren’t at practice; we spent hanging out, going to the movies, or talking on the phone. Needless to say our friendship remained strong and continued to reach new heights. When the new school year started, our friendship hit its peak. We started to think of each other as more than friends, and after a lot of time and consideration, we couldn’t find a reason not to date. Soon we were an item and quickly becoming the school’s cutest couple. Unfortunately, this bliss was short lived. After the first couple of dates, things started to get awkward, and by the fourth date, we still hadn’t kissed. Now I hadn’t had much experience with boys, but I knew that this wasn’t normal. When I confronted my new boyfriend about this, he said something that crushed me. He told me that he couldn’t think of me as more than a friend and that he couldn’t kiss his best friend. I was deeply hurt, and to my dismay our friendship had been tarnished. Even though all our friends and family had told us that the best relationships come from friendships, our relationship hadn’t worked out. So you decide, can this advice be trusted or is it just a myth?


The author's comments:
I decided to write this piece for two major reasons. Firstly because I felt that many people could relate to it and understand that they aren't the only ones who have made the mistake of dating a best friend. Secondly because I wanted to voice my opinion and give others a different perspective on dating advice.