I Do, But Can You?

Two people are in love--one white, the other black. The law will not allow them to get married. These people live together, hounded by and discriminated against by the rest of their society. They get no benefits from the government that other married couples do. They are sneered and scowled at when in public together. And all this prejudice is based on solely the color of their skin. Outrageous, right? Clearly. That’s why such a ridiculous law no longer exists and interracial marriages are legal and fairly common.

Now if we have a second scenario with the same situation--two human beings in love, discriminated by the same society which they are a part of, the same society they are in no way harming--but we change a tiny detail; they are of the same sex. Where is the harm in this?

“We the people” agreed on justice for all. So why are we not practicing it yet? Why are we caught up in the past? Why are we still exercising the same mindset we deemed as absurd earlier? Two people are happy, let them be…

cameronjay said...
Jul. 20, 2010 at 12:18 am
i agree! <3