Invisible

I’m the girl walking down the street. The one you wouldn’t notice, the one you look right through. I’m nothing special – a mediocre student, a girl with an average face, and have a very reserved disposition. My stare is forever locked at the ground, I’m weak. I could never face the world. As the lock of my house clicks, the darkness pervades. I walk past my parent, who just restates their disappointment again and again. Ignoring them is not hard; I’ve done it for as long as I could remember. Seeing all the awards and banners in the hallway, I sighed. Living my life as a mere shadow to my sister, trying to fill her shoes, it’s hard. I was the odd one in my family, the average one. I used to try, I really did. Then, the realization kicked in. As hard as I worked, I could never be the top students, the beautiful model or the popular girl like my sister was. I am me, and I am invisible.

Mykindapeopledontcarewhatyouthink said...
Clearly you are not so inferior.... you are a talented writer

sunnyhunny This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
You really get your point across well in this short piece.  I'm sorry that you have felt inferior to your sister your whole life.  Just remember that you are not your sister, and that you each have different positive qualities.  I am a competetive runner with two fantastic younger siblings.  When they started middle school, everyone associated them with me and my running, and expected them to be the same.  They just aren't runners, and that's okay.  I recognize that... (more »)