Trust vs. Betrayal | Teen Ink

Trust vs. Betrayal

By ameyer12 BRONZE, Commack, New York
ameyer12 BRONZE, Commack, New York

Trust. The foundation for relationships. It takes years to build, seconds to destroy. Throughout life, a person gives ones trust to the people she cares about. Betrayal. An act of disloyalty. In an instant, everything that was built on that mutual trust can be broken. It will all come crumbling down with one mistake. One act of betrayal.
A best friend is the person you rely on the most. She’s someone you would trust with your life, your secrets, and your emotions. You slowly let her into your heart and the trust accumulates over time. A bond is formed over those secrets, a friendship that will last. No longer is anything off limits, and if that person ever needs to talk, someone will be there.
One moment can change it all. The person you thought was your confidant turns out to be a backstabber. All of the secrets and shared emotions are turned around and used against you. Your weaknesses are played until you break down and are slowly torn to pieces. Finally, the person is seen for who she truly is. All of the rumors and the so-called lies are true. You, being the better person, tried to look pass them, give your friend the benefit of the doubt. But when the truth comes out and the lies being to unravel, what do you have left? When do you know to let a friendship go and when to hold on? From that point on, all the trust you once had for your friend is gone and it can never be rebuilt.
When you entrust someone with your secrets, you are relying on her to honor them. Your feelings should be brought into account in decision-making. But when you are forgotten about, betrayed, there is no going back. The person you though she was is gone. All that’s left are feelings of hurt, questioning where you went wrong and how too more forward. Suddenly, a friendship is over.