Imaginary Boyfriend

I am 15 and I am not allowed to date. Therefore I don’t know the ins and outs of dating like most people my age. So I am left my imagination and what I’ve seen in movies. I’ve always imagined me and a guy, his face is never clear in my mind, running along the beach. I’m in a beautiful sundress and my curls are whipping carelessly around my face. I am laughing and he smiles at me. He has a nice smile, one I could look at forever. He pulls me close and kisses me on the lips, short and sweet. We giggle, and I wrap my arms around his neck and stare into his eyes. I don’t know what color they are but I know that I can see into his soul, and it’s pure. This is the innocent kind of young love. Not like the other teenage loves that end in disaster. I am sure of it. I hear stories from my friends all the time. How their relationships end in pain and involve stupidity and confusion. But I am sure I won’t end up that way.
I imagine me and guy, not on a beach this time, but in my backyard. I am wearing jeans, a t-shirt, and my ratty converse. we’re sitting in the grass, talking. I lay down and the blades of grass tickle my neck, my hair fans out around my head. Were holding hands, he says something that makes me laugh. He kisses me lightly on the nose and I blush. He smiles, it’s always the same smile, the one I could look into forever. He kisses me lightly and my hands reach up to his face. He has light stubble that scratch the palms of my hand, but I don’t seem to mind. And we stay there, talking, whispering “I love you” our lips so close they brush against each other. I hear people say that young love never lasts, that is only causes problems. But I am convinced that with the right person young love can last forever.
I imagine me and him, we’re waiting in line for the movies. His hand is in the back pocket of my jeans, my arm wrapped around his waist. I sigh contently and he looks down at me and smirks. I smile up at him and ruffle his shaggy hair, he needs a haircut. He picks the movie and I pick the candy. Sour gummy worms and starbursts. We sit in the theater and wait for the movie to start. We fool around trying to catch starbursts in our mouth. I miss repeatedly and he laughs, I pout and he kisses me. Then we’re laughing all over again.
But I come crashing back to reality. I get a phone call from my friend, crying and heartbroken. And what people say about young love seems true. Less than 5% of all high school relationships end in marriage. And over 75% of all high school relationships end with heart break. I see what my friends go through, and don’t want it at all. I guess for now I’ll stick to my imaginary boyfriends, and the one’s I crush on in movies. I can always modify them in my mind and turn off the tv if they turn into jerks, but in real life you just have to roll with the punches.

talking-with-silence said...
Sept. 6, 2010 at 10:46 am:
So true. Exact same situation with me. :) Love is sad sometimes but maybe someday it shal be true :D

Asianflowers said...
May 12, 2010 at 4:34 pm:

I love this, I really do!!

Me too I don't know y people get together so young, and when I've never had a bf and I'm 16 and see people in middle school dating. I don't get it. You are so brave and true when you say this

LovelessWrists22 said...
May 9, 2010 at 12:40 am:

Hey i realllyy love this!!!

I use to do that, and now thinking about it, i think i should keep doing that haha

Ive been through so much pain and heartache just to maybe have one week of happiness with him.

I like your imaginary boyfriends, they seem so amazing =]

Wish all relationships could be like that, but yeah ..reality strikes =(

bltsoccerchick said...
This is really good! I love how you sort of had us in this different world, then drag us back into reality. It creates a really nice effect!

kikigirl101 replied...
Apr. 30, 2010 at 8:59 pm :
Thank you so much! I'm glad you enjoyed it!

luvdance said...
Awwww that was so sweet! and I wish love lasted like that forever but boys can be jerks sometimes. Not ALL boys but some boys end up being shallow and just liking for looks or for other things which they shouldn't be liking for. Sometimes a guy will tell you mean the world to them then the next moment you are left alone sitting there while he's running off with someone else because you weren't "exciting" enough. I wish there was a perfect guy out there like the one in your story...

destinedhearts said...
very cute :) and this is like me and my love..never argued.and love eachother very much. were young but i KNOW well last forever. i love it :)

Allie97 said...
this is a great article...i have always wanted a boyfriend like that...i would like to have the feeling that someone, other than family, cares about me...

madipadi19 said...
That was sooooooo good and really great!!

SunShineSparkle said...
what u wrote was so pretty and all those imaginary sqishy feeling moments u wrote about im not gonna lie ive had quite a few of those this is my fisrt boyfriend EVER and were hooked on each other for life already dnt give in to what others say there is a guy out there at this moment who will love u forever

M3risoul replied...
Apr. 17, 2010 at 7:22 pm :
i agree, theres always someone. i just takes time to find the perfect one :)

SeerKnowsBest replied...
Mar. 1, 2011 at 7:24 pm :
me too! i agree! and i was one of the lucky ones- i found him!!!!!!!!!!