Teenage Dating | Teen Ink

Teenage Dating

March 30, 2010
By FightingFate SILVER, Camden, Tennessee
FightingFate SILVER, Camden, Tennessee
6 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
Don't fear the reaper.


Dear Diary, no one believes my teenage boyfriend will stay with me through highschool, much less forever. How can I convince anyone that we really love each other? I strongly believe that age is not the main factor in relationships.
I know that maturity affects your love life, but that doesn't mean that teenagers, let's say, 15 and above can't mean it when they say those three words.
I know love can be experienced by teens. I don't want to be misunderstood, I realize many teenagers do not plan on falling for highschool boyfriends and several that do still break up. Yet my experiences should prove that I have a valid point- it CAN happen.
I say this so everone realizes that putting down teens who claim they are in love is never the right thing to do. Parents need to realize that they are hurting, not helping, when they tell their daughter "it isn't meant to be." Friends need to realize that they wouldn't like to be told their boyfriend or girlfriend won't last.
If I'm just another child caught up in young romance, then I must admit that the world has tricked me well. Is it love when your heart beats fast for the sight of your man even though you've gazed at that face hundreads of times before? Is it love when you stay up as long as the other does, so the last thing they think about is you saying "goodnight"? Is it love when there is a picnic planned for your birthday and you just laugh as the vase flys off the park bench in a gust of wind? Is it love when you enjoy a movie with grasping hands and your boyfriend calmly pulls away long enough to wipe your sweaty palms? Is it love when you recieve a poem that spells your name? Is it love when people say that just the way you smile at your boyfriend or girlfriend is public display of affection?
I hope I have made a point. Teenage love could end up lasting. So next time a teen you know dreamily declares love, do not mock them. Support them, for better or worse.

The author's comments:
Please don't treat others the way so many treated me abou my boyfriend. We've lasted more than a year, but its a hollow victory when you had to battle so called friends the whole way.