Parenting | Teen Ink

Parenting

By JonnyH GOLD, Silverdale, Washington
JonnyH GOLD, Silverdale, Washington

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.” -Albert Einstein

Parenting has existed since the beginning of man and will continue to exist until the end of the world. From many perspectives being a parent is considered one of the hardest professions. On top of making the rules of the house and making sure that your children do what they are told they have to be one of the most looked on role models that you can ever be. In a child’s eye’s their mom or dad are their greatest hero, ranking even above Superman or Luke Skywalker. A parent’s opinion have the largest impact you could ever imagine, on their child’s thoughts and actions not only as a child but throughout the rest of their life. If a child asks a parent for their opinion on something, their opinion can make a great difference in the choice or choices they make. For example: a child asks his father, “Should I play soccer this year?”, and his father answers, “well soccer is a challenging sport but I’m sure you can do it.”, then the child will follow through with trying out for the team. On the other hand is the child’s father or mother were to tell him or her that soccer is to hard for them and that they should look for another sport then the child would have a lower self esteem level about that sport but will still most likely follow through with the opinion of his father or mother. This just goes to show how much of an impact a parent’s opinion has in the life of a child or teen of any age. Another major trait that a good parent should always have is the ability to listen. In a child’s eyes if your parent actively listens and engages themselves in any conversation or even arguments that they have then they feel like their opinion was heard, not just on the minimum scale of a child but to a child even on the scale of an adult. This can mean the greatest amount to any child or teen. Communication and listening are two of the greatest skills that any good parent should have.

Bethani GOLD said...
Bethani GOLD, Highlands Ranch, Colorado

Life is perfect until you sit back and realize how boring it is without risks.

I completely agree! This is how I feel.