One Lasting Treasure

By , Calgary, Canada
Who should the most important in your life be? The answers would either be “friends” or “family,” but most teenagers tend to put “friends” ahead of “family.” That is because we, teenagers, are more acquainted with our friends. We spend more than half the day with our friends due to school, and even during weekends, we are most likely to hang out with our friends. Technology, such as text messaging, instant messaging, or phones, has made it possible for friends to come in contact with each other during free time or when asking for homework help. When this happens, quality time with the family is scarce.
However, teenagers forget that the same friends don’t last forever. No matter how close you are to each other, a day will come when all of you walk separate paths. These people will one day leave your side. Especially in today’s society where there is the social pyramid.
Things change as you grow up, such as a transition from middle school to high school. In high school, you and your friends will meet new people, and as time pass, you will drift apart. Your friends might find “better” friends and leave you. When that happens, you might be at lost, because those people were the people whom you’ve always depended on. When this happens, who can you turn to?
The answer would be your family. Teenagers should value their family more. No matter what happens your family will always be there to support you. If you don’t agree with this, then think back to the times when you were a little kid. Who took care of you when you were sick? Who packed your lunch boxes? Who drove you to school? Who read bed time stories to you and helped you with your homework? Who fed you? Back when you were a little kid, who were the most important people in your life?
When we grow up, we tend to forget that our family is important. That is because family is like the air—something that we have, yet we don’t realize how important it is until it is gone. So don’t depend too much on friends. The more you grow attached to someone, the more you will feel a sense of lost and hopelessness when they abandoned you. After all, the people who matters, are the ones who can hurt you the most. If that happens, just remember that even if the whole world criticize you, your family will never leave you.