Teen romance: Does true love really exist?

Do you believe in love? Are you and your girlfriend/boyfriend truly in love? With teenager’s hormones always on overdrive, many misinterpret the word love. The question of whether true love really exists cannot be answered, without clarifying what true love really is, but the honest truth is, teenagers don’t really know what true love is. Love requires a commitment, and I’m quite sure 13 and 14 year olds aren’t ready for commitment.

You love your animals, you love your parent’s, and you love your t-shirt. Love is like a hat, you feel warm in it, and you like how it looks, but when it gets old, you throw it out, or when a new hat comes out, you want it.

From Taylor Swift and Joe Jonas to Miley Cyrus and Nick Jonas, these celebrities are even young adults and they supposedly ‘loved’ each other, but then why is it that it didn’t last? Are we simply fooling ourselves over boredom and loneliness, or is love just a trend running through schools today?

And then you look in these magazines and on TV, do you know how many couples break up over work and cheating, the likely hood of getting married from teenage hood is low, and we just need to face reality.

In my opinion, we shouldn’t be caring about whose dating who, and who’s hot and whose not. We should be enjoying life, and being young. You only get to be a child once, and you shouldn’t just give love away like an article of clothing.

Yes, young love has happened, and can be true. But you have to ask yourself, is your love puppy love or real love. Young love is running in our society today, and it is not always bad. But people need to start realizing that there are more important things in life, then dating the popular guy in high school, enjoy your childhood, because before you know it, you are going to be a adult, and you can’t go back, it’s not the end of the world, if you pay attention to your school grades and not on boys or girls. There’s plenty of time to find true love, and teenagers are getting too caught up.

Maybe if teenagers today started focusing and loving themselves, they’d be a happier and more successful person. And eventually instead of them looking for love, true love will finally reach them.

shanie said...
Apr. 26, 2010 at 9:04 am:
I am 13 teen and i think i am in love with this guy.. we are not dating but we do evrything that a normal couples do. this may sound weird but i really do love thos guy and i think i am willing to be with him for the rest of my life. i no this is a big chose but this is how i really.

squidney1234 replied...
Nov. 17, 2010 at 2:21 pm :
you need to spend alot of time with this guy before you know...i thought that then i loved him, but then i spend day after day with this guy, and turned out i did..ive been dateing him for a year now..

ElephantGirl523 said...
Mar. 11, 2010 at 2:58 pm:
I loved your writing, but I think the problem you are describing might not be that people have boyfriends and girlfriends. I think the problem is that people want a boyfriend/girlfriend and it is too publicized like that. If you like someone and want to spend more time with them, I don't see a problem with that, and a lot of people do feel that way. I think the problem is that teens are being pressured into relationships.
Besides, you don't have to love your boyfriend/girlfriend... (more »)

MonaLisa218 replied...
Feb. 19, 2011 at 9:25 pm :
i do agree with you "elephant girl?" but see you have to understand that when some falls in love they believe it is "true love." they wish to stay with the person forever but in some cases it doesn't happen. i've been in a relationship where there was no love. then i was in a relationship where there was so much love i thought i needed another heart just for this love. i thought it was true love until it ended. so you see love is tricky, there can be true love, there can be no love, there can be... (more »)

`lovexfearxhope said...
Mar. 3, 2010 at 1:43 am:
I agree. All my friends tell me I should get a boy friend, now the idea of that doesn't sound all that bad to me .. But I know what is at stake. I know, I'm not ready for a relationship, at least for now. When the time comes, love will come when I'm ready. I won't go looking for love, I'll let love come to me even if I have to wait a few mores years. [Btw, i'm 14.]

chick-a-dee-wasaga-3 replied...
Mar. 6, 2010 at 11:20 am :
Yea, i know.
Many girls and boys think you NEED to hae a gf/bf but the fact is you dont. You have your whole life.

RAWR replied...
Nov. 17, 2010 at 2:24 pm :
I agree, finding someone shouldnt be pressure, that what my friends did to me then my relationship lasted a week. I waited 13 years of lonliness until the guy i love came and ive been with his a little over a year now..

MonaLisa218 replied...
Feb. 19, 2011 at 9:28 pm :
i agree with you all. yes you have your whole life ahead of you to find that special someone. so you don't want to do it too early because if you experience heart breaks then you'll give up on love. that's never wanted in anyone;s life. its not right.

enchanted4yu said...
Mar. 2, 2010 at 8:47 pm:
Wow, this is extremely well written. I agree with you and really really like your simile of love to a hat. You summed it up perfectly! congrats!

chick-a-dee-wasaga-3 replied...
Mar. 6, 2010 at 11:19 am :
Thank you very much :)
except my teacher didn't think it was well writting, lol.

enchanted4yu replied...
Mar. 6, 2010 at 6:12 pm :
Sometimes teachers don't take all aspects of writing into acount. This is wonderful. Please have a look at some of my writing, I'd appreciate feedback

magic-esi This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 27, 2010 at 8:23 am:
I agree with you. I don't go looking for love as a teenager, I live my own life. The expression 'falling in love' is absolutely true; if you choose your own path to walk in life, that path may contain a ditch that you will fall into, and that is love. Love finds you, you don't find it. You're exactly right and your article is written pretty well too.

chick-a-dee-wasaga-3 replied...
Feb. 27, 2010 at 8:18 pm :
Thank you very much (:
and my teacher only gave me a 3- on it . I thought it was better than that

Student replied...
Mar. 17, 2010 at 7:14 pm :
Nice insight, im currently writing an essay on teenage romance and looking for arguments from both sides. Being a teenager, I agree that some do not truly know what love is, and havent experienced romance before. On the contrary, many teenagers have the emotional capacity for feelings strong as love, and know how to express it. What teenagers lack is experience, however I beleive that teenage years are a growing period where romance and love is discovered. Therefore, love can be felt at an age a... (more »)

magic-esi This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Mar. 23, 2010 at 10:29 am :
Student- That is very true, it reveals a great deal about teenagers. I think some teenagers are faking love so they can have better social status; others just have crushes but love romance novels; and others truly are in love but don't have the experience to deal with it.

misssouthernbelle replied...
Apr. 4, 2011 at 8:55 pm :
I think that this is a great peice of writing, however I strongly feel that my views on love differ from yours.  Love simply cannot be compared to a hat, love is patient, love is kind, and love CAN exist in the hearts of many teenagers.  There are teenagers with the emotional and intelectual capacity to understand love. Coming from the young mind of someone who has experienced more in the years that I have been alive then I hope anyone ever even scratches the surface of,  I myself... (more »)