Teen romance: Does true love really exist? | Teen Ink

Teen romance: Does true love really exist?

February 20, 2010
By chick-a-dee-wasaga-3 BRONZE, California, Florida
chick-a-dee-wasaga-3 BRONZE, California, Florida
4 articles 0 photos 10 comments

Do you believe in love? Are you and your girlfriend/boyfriend truly in love? With teenager’s hormones always on overdrive, many misinterpret the word love. The question of whether true love really exists cannot be answered, without clarifying what true love really is, but the honest truth is, teenagers don’t really know what true love is. Love requires a commitment, and I’m quite sure 13 and 14 year olds aren’t ready for commitment.

You love your animals, you love your parent’s, and you love your t-shirt. Love is like a hat, you feel warm in it, and you like how it looks, but when it gets old, you throw it out, or when a new hat comes out, you want it.


From Taylor Swift and Joe Jonas to Miley Cyrus and Nick Jonas, these celebrities are even young adults and they supposedly ‘loved’ each other, but then why is it that it didn’t last? Are we simply fooling ourselves over boredom and loneliness, or is love just a trend running through schools today?

And then you look in these magazines and on TV, do you know how many couples break up over work and cheating, the likely hood of getting married from teenage hood is low, and we just need to face reality.

In my opinion, we shouldn’t be caring about whose dating who, and who’s hot and whose not. We should be enjoying life, and being young. You only get to be a child once, and you shouldn’t just give love away like an article of clothing.

Yes, young love has happened, and can be true. But you have to ask yourself, is your love puppy love or real love. Young love is running in our society today, and it is not always bad. But people need to start realizing that there are more important things in life, then dating the popular guy in high school, enjoy your childhood, because before you know it, you are going to be a adult, and you can’t go back, it’s not the end of the world, if you pay attention to your school grades and not on boys or girls. There’s plenty of time to find true love, and teenagers are getting too caught up.

Maybe if teenagers today started focusing and loving themselves, they’d be a happier and more successful person. And eventually instead of them looking for love, true love will finally reach them.


The author's comments:
I just think , that teenagers are growing up so fast, and they think they know what true love is, but the fact is, they really don't know.

Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 41 comments.


on Feb. 19 2011 at 9:28 pm
MonaLisa218 BRONZE, Indianapolis, Indiana
1 article 0 photos 12 comments

Favorite Quote:
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world"

i agree with you all. yes you have your whole life ahead of you to find that special someone. so you don't want to do it too early because if you experience heart breaks then you'll give up on love. that's never wanted in anyone;s life. its not right.

on Feb. 19 2011 at 9:25 pm
MonaLisa218 BRONZE, Indianapolis, Indiana
1 article 0 photos 12 comments

Favorite Quote:
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world"

i do agree with you "elephant girl?" but see you have to understand that when some falls in love they believe it is "true love." they wish to stay with the person forever but in some cases it doesn't happen. i've been in a relationship where there was no love. then i was in a relationship where there was so much love i thought i needed another heart just for this love. i thought it was true love until it ended. so you see love is tricky, there can be true love, there can be no love, there can be regular love, etc. you get the point. thanks for this love inspiration.

on Jan. 28 2011 at 11:52 am
JohnnyTheSilverAngel GOLD, Los Angeles, California
14 articles 0 photos 11 comments

Favorite Quote:
“I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.” By W.W

"If God gave you the will to start something,You have to have the courage to finish it." by J.V

Well I did fall in love and I'm not joking about this.It wasn't puppy love or "I like you" love.No,it was true love.I was this girl,she was the nicest and most gorgeous girl I've known.She fell in love with me because of who I was...I know you may say we should live our lives because we're only young once but...the only thing I could see was me being with her for the rest of my life.I wouldn't have minded spending my youth with her.That would have made things more fun but,hey it's my opinion and I'm just expressing it.Love is out there but...you have to wait till it finds you.

Sis94 BRONZE said...
on Dec. 15 2010 at 9:47 pm
Sis94 BRONZE, Dongola, Illinois
1 article 0 photos 23 comments

Favorite Quote:
it's my life i choose to do what ever i do in it

YA i will tell ya that i didn't think love was real and all but I HAVE FOUND THE ONE.and so will you ;p

 love is real you just have to look in the right places ;p


Hellotheend said...
on Nov. 17 2010 at 2:31 pm
I agree but disagree see, you can love someone just as i love my family i love my friends i love my things, so saying i love you, and loveing someone isnt a big deal...the big deal is being in love with someone. We are not inlove with our family, our friends, our things? they are two different things. Saying i love you seems as a big step, but if you look at it in my perspective it its not. I do believe in loveing someone, but since society and many others believe saying i love you is such a deal. If you wait long enough as i did to know if you do? its possible i dated my boyfriend for 1 year i waited 6 months to tell him i loved him, and i knew it..

RAWR said...
on Nov. 17 2010 at 2:24 pm
I agree, finding someone shouldnt be pressure, that what my friends did to me then my relationship lasted a week. I waited 13 years of lonliness until the guy i love came and ive been with his a little over a year now..

squidney1234 said...
on Nov. 17 2010 at 2:21 pm
you need to spend alot of time with this guy before you know...i thought that then i loved him, but then i spend day after day with this guy, and turned out i did..ive been dateing him for a year now..

on Nov. 1 2010 at 11:04 am
Gracious PLATINUM, Go Away, Kansas
22 articles 0 photos 66 comments

Favorite Quote:
"life sucks and then you die, yeah, i should be so lucky"



-Jacob, Twilight

I’m still that girl who falls when she runs, Getting back up, because falling is fun.

im a teen, and im in love. Its possible, its more then possible actually. It just happens. This piece reminded me of a stellar one i read last week, about love being like a t shirt. yours reminded me of that and makes me wonder how much of this is actually your thoughts

on Oct. 27 2010 at 7:54 pm
enchanted4yu PLATINUM, Calabasas, California
24 articles 0 photos 103 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Don't tell me the sky is the limit when there are footprints on the moon"

i quoted you in my english creative writing assignment, this part: Love is like a hat, you feel warm in it, and you like how it looks, but when it gets old, you throw it out, or when a new hat comes out, you want it.

thank u :) my class loves it


on Jun. 22 2010 at 7:42 pm
tonii_2123 BRONZE, Sturgis, Michigan
1 article 3 photos 2 comments
I liked hearing your point of view. But I am going to have to say that I disagree. I do beleive in somecases (considering some of my friends) That some people just automaticly say they love someone when they really dont know. But sometimes there is love. There are so many ways to love someone. And yes sometimes people confuse there kind of love with one that isnt true, But if you really think about it...think about yourself when you were my age (14) or older...Did you ever "love" someone? I guess in my opinion if you really do love someone and it ends that doesnt mean you didnt love them, as long as you dont regret it.

shanie said...
on Apr. 26 2010 at 9:04 am
I am 13 teen and i think i am in love with this guy.. we are not dating but we do evrything that a normal couples do. this may sound weird but i really do love thos guy and i think i am willing to be with him for the rest of my life. i no this is a big chose but this is how i really.

on Mar. 23 2010 at 10:29 am
magic-esi PLATINUM, Hyde Park, New York
27 articles 0 photos 231 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one."
"Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if only one remembers to turn on the light."

Student- That is very true, it reveals a great deal about teenagers. I think some teenagers are faking love so they can have better social status; others just have crushes but love romance novels; and others truly are in love but don't have the experience to deal with it.

Student said...
on Mar. 17 2010 at 7:14 pm
Nice insight, im currently writing an essay on teenage romance and looking for arguments from both sides. Being a teenager, I agree that some do not truly know what love is, and havent experienced romance before. On the contrary, many teenagers have the emotional capacity for feelings strong as love, and know how to express it. What teenagers lack is experience, however I beleive that teenage years are a growing period where romance and love is discovered. Therefore, love can be felt at an age as young as 13 or 14, just not expressed how we beleive it to be.

on Mar. 11 2010 at 2:58 pm
ElephantGirl523 SILVER, Brooklyn, New York
6 articles 0 photos 37 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -Theodor Geisel

I loved your writing, but I think the problem you are describing might not be that people have boyfriends and girlfriends. I think the problem is that people want a boyfriend/girlfriend and it is too publicized like that. If you like someone and want to spend more time with them, I don't see a problem with that, and a lot of people do feel that way. I think the problem is that teens are being pressured into relationships.

Besides, you don't have to love your boyfriend/girlfriend forever. Why do you need to have "true love?" Can't you just spend time with someone? Relationships change, and so do peoples reactions towards each other. I don't believe that true love is necessary in a relationship, and I think I can live my own life even if I like someone as a teen. Boyfriends and girlfriends know that they aren't going to be together forever. So why shouldn't they enjoy each others company now?

I hope you won't be discouraged by your low grade or by this comment. I think that it is really good, and even if I disagree with it, it is an opinion piece, so that is to be expected. If you like to write, keep doing it, because I think you are an excellent writer. Keep up the good work.

P.S. I actually don't have a boyfriend.

on Mar. 6 2010 at 6:12 pm
enchanted4yu PLATINUM, Calabasas, California
24 articles 0 photos 103 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Don't tell me the sky is the limit when there are footprints on the moon"

Sometimes teachers don't take all aspects of writing into acount. This is wonderful. Please have a look at some of my writing, I'd appreciate feedback

on Mar. 6 2010 at 11:20 am
chick-a-dee-wasaga-3 BRONZE, California, Florida
4 articles 0 photos 10 comments
Yea, i know.

Many girls and boys think you NEED to hae a gf/bf but the fact is you dont. You have your whole life.

on Mar. 6 2010 at 11:19 am
chick-a-dee-wasaga-3 BRONZE, California, Florida
4 articles 0 photos 10 comments
Thank you very much :)

except my teacher didn't think it was well writting, lol.

on Mar. 3 2010 at 1:43 am
I agree. All my friends tell me I should get a boy friend, now the idea of that doesn't sound all that bad to me .. But I know what is at stake. I know, I'm not ready for a relationship, at least for now. When the time comes, love will come when I'm ready. I won't go looking for love, I'll let love come to me even if I have to wait a few mores years. [Btw, i'm 14.]

on Mar. 2 2010 at 8:47 pm
enchanted4yu PLATINUM, Calabasas, California
24 articles 0 photos 103 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Don't tell me the sky is the limit when there are footprints on the moon"

Wow, this is extremely well written. I agree with you and really really like your simile of love to a hat. You summed it up perfectly! congrats!

on Feb. 27 2010 at 8:18 pm
chick-a-dee-wasaga-3 BRONZE, California, Florida
4 articles 0 photos 10 comments
Thank you very much (:

and my teacher only gave me a 3- on it . I thought it was better than that