Teen romance: Does true love really exist?

Do you believe in love? Are you and your girlfriend/boyfriend truly in love? With teenager’s hormones always on overdrive, many misinterpret the word love. The question of whether true love really exists cannot be answered, without clarifying what true love really is, but the honest truth is, teenagers don’t really know what true love is. Love requires a commitment, and I’m quite sure 13 and 14 year olds aren’t ready for commitment.

You love your animals, you love your parent’s, and you love your t-shirt. Love is like a hat, you feel warm in it, and you like how it looks, but when it gets old, you throw it out, or when a new hat comes out, you want it.

From Taylor Swift and Joe Jonas to Miley Cyrus and Nick Jonas, these celebrities are even young adults and they supposedly ‘loved’ each other, but then why is it that it didn’t last? Are we simply fooling ourselves over boredom and loneliness, or is love just a trend running through schools today?

And then you look in these magazines and on TV, do you know how many couples break up over work and cheating, the likely hood of getting married from teenage hood is low, and we just need to face reality.

In my opinion, we shouldn’t be caring about whose dating who, and who’s hot and whose not. We should be enjoying life, and being young. You only get to be a child once, and you shouldn’t just give love away like an article of clothing.

Yes, young love has happened, and can be true. But you have to ask yourself, is your love puppy love or real love. Young love is running in our society today, and it is not always bad. But people need to start realizing that there are more important things in life, then dating the popular guy in high school, enjoy your childhood, because before you know it, you are going to be a adult, and you can’t go back, it’s not the end of the world, if you pay attention to your school grades and not on boys or girls. There’s plenty of time to find true love, and teenagers are getting too caught up.

Maybe if teenagers today started focusing and loving themselves, they’d be a happier and more successful person. And eventually instead of them looking for love, true love will finally reach them.

rosan said...
May 30 at 1:09 pm:
who cares about his website. the fact is love 's got no ages. because you have already known your moms love.and care you can start learning love form child and when you reach about 10+ 14+ then you start doing the same giving your care for some one.but yah believe the true love exists the lovely age is teen 14+ . I just wanna prove this website worng!

smiler said...
May 1, 2013 at 5:47 am:
I just saw Miley and Nick so i commented!!! OMG!!! NILEY LONG LIVED!! 

delicate_dreams said...
Jan. 20, 2013 at 8:40 am:
  I think saying a teenager cannot fall in love with some one is unfair. I mean, there are many different kinds of love. Teenagers are expected to love their family, and their pets without people suggesting that they are too young to do so. So for what reason could they not fall in love with someone?  

Black_Rose_Princess said...
Jun. 17, 2012 at 11:46 pm:
Very good...many teenagers spend time searching for their true love and I believe that they force themselves to fall in love, or believe that they have fallen in love only because they really want to believe that they have even if they may not be in love. The thing is we can't find true love...it finds us. I felt like you really got that idea across very well. Nice going!

KanupriyaThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jun. 17, 2012 at 5:26 am:
Welldone! I share the same perception...We get gfs and bfs just make ourselves cool but actuaaly we are losing quite much of ourself in being cool.....love it! :)

livisan said...
May 26, 2012 at 6:55 pm:
This was an interesting piece of work, however a little to Anti-Young love. Dating and crushing IS a part of childhood, and when people look back to their chilhood, they will fondly remember their first boyfriend and first kiss. It is very normal for people to "love" in teenage years, and as long as it isn't dictating every aspect of their life, i think it's fine.

Destiny2 said...
Feb. 6, 2012 at 9:09 am:
I totally agree with you on everything except for the part where you said "there are more important things in life". When someone is in love, he/she cant actually realize anything more important or amazing! But the only time the lover snaps out of it, is when the affection goes down the drain. It is true there are important things in life, such as reaching your goals, and so on. But having a true relationship could also be topped as the MOST important. :)

ttyconfused said...
Do you think you can love someone and cheat on them? Like I'm pretty sure i've lost the one i love because i cheated not 1 or 2, but 3 times :S i dont know what makes me do it...maybe it's just a stage in my life. but now im pretty sure ive lost that person, and i feel more alone than ever. You know that song: 'you don't know what you've got till its gone...' yeah totally living that right now :/

ashley1012 said...
May 20, 2011 at 11:03 am:
i relly dont know

HopelessRomantic1 said...
I think teenage love, true love really does exist.  I mean, look at all of the people who meet as adults and get married, and end up divorced.  Is there really an age that you reach that suddenly enables you to really know what true love is?  I think it can be felt no matter a person's age. 

musiqqlvr31 replied...
Apr. 26, 2011 at 2:24 am :
I agree with you and I just don;t get the idea of puppy love..I mean What is that? Teenagers can love- losing yourself n love is what is dangerous.Love dosent mean commitment. No one can be ready for that until they're in their 30s or something!

Diianah <3 replied...
May 11, 2011 at 3:01 pm :
i think that true love in teens does exist. i'm in love and in a way love is commitment because of your willing to be with that person for the rest of your life you hav eto commit yourself to every responsibility that comes with it... it's not just like being together and saying i love you... you have to show it to by being there always no matter what and being sure your gonna be able to be with that person always. remember that if you wanna get married you'll never fully know that person until ... (more »)

kenny1234 replied...
May 22, 2011 at 1:09 pm :

hi! im very sure true love exists i found my love at the age of 14 she was 12 and now shes 16 and im 18 we ar still on the go we are still going thru hard times and scard whtr will loss eachother thats cz of true love i think you have to wait till you find the ryt person i found myn and im having the great time with her 

*young love exist to marriage (but have to wait till you find the ryt person) 

JohnnyTheSilverAngel said...
Jan. 28, 2011 at 11:52 am:
Well I did fall in love and I'm not joking about this.It wasn't puppy love or "I like you" love.No,it was true love.I was this girl,she was the nicest and most gorgeous girl I've known.She fell in love with me because of who I was...I know you may say we should live our lives because we're only young once but...the only thing I could see was me being with her for the rest of my life.I wouldn't have minded spending my youth with her.That would have made things more fun but,hey it's my opinion and... (more »)

cnnq replied...
Jul. 26, 2012 at 11:53 pm :

what i think about love is alote of things. But navery realy understand what it fells like. when i was reading the Bible it give me a bitter idea of what love is. Navere fall in love befor but one day when im done with school and whenever  it comes it will be great. from what i was reading from the  Bible is .love is  patient,love is kind.it is not proud.it is not rude,it is not self seeking it is not easly angered,it keeps no record of worngs.love does not delight in evi... (more »)

Hellotheend said...
I agree but disagree see, you can love someone just as i love my family i love my friends i love my things, so saying i love you, and loveing someone isnt a big deal...the big deal is being in love with someone. We are not inlove with our family, our friends, our things? they are two different things. Saying i love you seems as a big step, but if you look at it in my perspective it its not. I do believe in loveing someone, but since society and many others believe saying i love you is suc... (more »)

Sis94 replied...
Dec. 15, 2010 at 9:47 pm :

YA i will tell ya that i didn't think love was real and all but I HAVE FOUND THE ONE.and so will you ;p

love is real you just have to look in the right places ;p

DakotaShadowThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Nov. 1, 2010 at 11:04 am:
im a teen, and im in love. Its possible, its more then possible actually. It just happens. This piece reminded me of a stellar one i read last week, about love being like a t shirt. yours reminded me of that and makes me wonder how much of this is actually your thoughts

enchanted4yu said...

i quoted you in my english creative writing assignment, this part: Love is like a hat, you feel warm in it, and you like how it looks, but when it gets old, you throw it out, or when a new hat comes out, you want it.

thank u :) my class loves it

tonii_2123 said...
Jun. 22, 2010 at 7:42 pm:
I liked hearing your point of view. But I am going to have to say that I disagree. I do beleive in somecases (considering some of my friends) That some people just automaticly say they love someone when they really dont know. But sometimes there is love. There are so many ways to love someone. And yes sometimes people confuse there kind of love with one that isnt true, But if you really think about it...think about yourself when you were my age (14) or older...Did you ever "love" someone? I gues... (more »)