Through the Eyes of Teenagers | Teen Ink

Through the Eyes of Teenagers

By bethmarie SILVER, Port Huron, Michigan
bethmarie SILVER, Port Huron, Michigan

"I didnt eat the last cookie, it was sissy!"

The majority of teens have told someone they know, how horrible their parents are. How bad at being parents they are, but what makes a parent a bad parent? What classifies them as unfit to have their children? What says they are unfit to even handle having their own children? Not in the eyes of the law, but in the eyes of their own teenagers. The fact that they ground us, set curfew and dish out chores? Is it because they fight with us when we insist that we are right even though later on we find out we were wrong, and still we manage to hold onto our grudge and not because we were wrong, but because they knew that we were wrong. Or is it because they love us no matter how stupid we act, no matter how many times we tell them we hate them without apologizing, or how many times we mess up and expect them to bail us out.
It seems like common knowledge to those around us, that it is infact us - the teenagers - who mess up our lives, but when we look back who was the guilty party and who was crying because they were scared for our lives? Newton's Third Law states that for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. It was your choice to to take drugs, while it was your parents choice to sit in the emergency room begging for you to be OK. It was also your choice to drink and drive, while it was your parents choice to show that they cared by driving you to AA meetings and drive you to your friends place. As teenagers its easy to take our parents for granted, but maybe its time to grow up just a little bit and open our eyes to everything that our parents do for us instead of only paying attention to what they don't do. Maybe its even time to say "I'm sorry" or "Thank you".

on Feb. 13 2010 at 11:10 am
SaraRoxsHerSox SILVER, McVeytown, Pennsylvania

"Brochacho!"

This is really well-written. I agree with you completely!!