A Friend

There are many definitions of a friend. Many people have their own. Merriam Webster’s Dictionary defines friend as: “one attached to another by affection or esteem.” Is that a good definition of a friend?

I asked myself, “What is my definition of a friend? Is it like the Dictionary’s definition?” So I started thinking about my friends. I asked myself, “What made them my friends?”

I sat thinking about those questions and answers began to come out of me. I think a friend is someone you can trust. Someone you can rely on and you know will come if you needed them. A friend is someone who sticks by you when times are great and when times are tough. A friend is someone who cares for you. I think a friend enjoys your company and talking with you. A friend would do things for you.

A friend is many other things too. I asked myself if I was that for my friends? Did they consider me one of their friends? I looked at my answers again. I was some of those things. Not all of them but some. All my friends have all those qualities and fit that definition but I don’t. I need to be a better friend.

All in all, I agree with Merriam Webster’s Dictionary’s definition of the word friend. I think a person who is a friend probably has affection for their friend. I know I do.

What is your definition of a friend? How do you know which friends you can count on? Do you agree with the Dictionary’s definition of a friend?

tylerz said...
Dec. 1, 2010 at 11:16 am
kind of but youll have to look at it our way rev. how do we define ourselves as friends. something unexplainable to me

megpie000 said...
i love your definition of a friend!!!! :D great job btw

kate4 said...
Wow, your difinition was really deep. My difinition of a friend would be pretty simular. I do agree to the Dictionary's difinition, I have affection for all my friends.

SmileLikeUMeanIt said...
You have interesting thoughts on this! I've never actually thought that deep into it before. I do agree with their definition but yours was much more thorough. :)