A Simple Equation | Teen Ink

A Simple Equation

January 6, 2010
By Elizrowe1 BRONZE, Arlington Heights, Illinois
Elizrowe1 BRONZE, Arlington Heights, Illinois
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Have we met before? Because, for some reason, I feel as though we have.

No? That’s strange because I could’ve sworn that I’ve known you my whole life.

You are the peanut butter to my jelly. Do you get it? Am I being way too forward? Perhaps I should just walk away.

Or maybe, just maybe, this is the way to do it. Maybe love just happens because you want it to, because you make it happen.

I think I believe that. I think I believe in love.

Maybe not love at first sight. Maybe no one is that lucky. But if you really believe that you can love someone you’ve only just met, who’s to stop you? Who’s going to tell you that your feelings are not valid just because you’re not sure why they’re there?

They’re still there.

And I feel this connection with you. And I’m wondering if I’m the crazy one here. And I’m wondering if I’m just babbling to you, and if you think I’m an idiot, and if love at first sight was just a euphemism for arranged marriage.

But what about Romeo and Juliet? Do you know anyone nowadays who would die for someone they had met four days before because they seem to make the sun shine brighter?

What about Lady and the Tramp? Will you share spaghetti with me? Will anyone?

If they can love each other that way, why can’t we?

Why can’t we just fall in love and forget that we’re not supposed to?
Why can’t we just say it to each other, and try to ignore the fact that it’s some kind of contest over who can say it last.
Why can’t love be simple anymore? You + Me = Forever.
But it’s not like that, is it?
Love is not simple, and it’s not nice, and sometimes, it hurts.
Are you going to hurt me? Because I’m just going to tell you right now: I don’t know if I can take it. Because I have these expectations about you, and I feel like I’ve met my soul mate even though you haven’t spoken a word to me. And you could say something any second. You could tell me that I’m wrong.
And I’ll cry. Are you prepared for that?
But I don’t think you’re going to hurt me.
For some crazy, completely illogical reason, I think that you’re going to open your mouth and tell me Thank-God-I-Finally-Found-You. I feel like you’re going to say how much you’ve missed seeing me in your dreams. And I don’t think that’s weird.
Because You + Me does = Forever. And I believe that.