Big White Weddings | Teen Ink

Big White Weddings

December 7, 2009
By ~Wolf-Woman~ PLATINUM, Carthage, Missouri
~Wolf-Woman~ PLATINUM, Carthage, Missouri
24 articles 10 photos 31 comments

“Everyone deserves to be a princess for a day” or “Don’t you want to make your mother happy?” Those are the reasons I’ve heard why people have overly sized, ridiculously long, white weddings. I find weddings to be a waste of money, stressful, boring, and just down right disgusting. There are not enough words in the English dictionary to describe how much I loathe weddings, and I haven’t even started planning my own yet.

Brides and grooms, but mostly brides, become narcissistic, self-centered people during the wedding planning process. Somehow the engagement ring wields a power over the wearer that corrupts them. They seem to only care about one thing, how perfect the wedding ceremony and after celebrations should be. Why bother putting all that effort and money into a thing that will last only one night? I find it down right ridiculous!

Marriage use to be sacred, but now weddings only seem to be just another get together, just another way to show that you are better than everyone else, just another way to jump into the spotlight. People are concentrating on the wedding, the ceremony, not on the marriage itself, uniting two loved ones together for life. People should concentrate on the marriage between the two people, not on the extravagant wedding.

The typical wedding ceremony to me seems a little bit on the sexist side leaning towards women. Why is it that the woman is made to trek the distance down the isle? Why can’t the girl wait at the end and watch the groom. Then have you noticed that it is only the bride who is given away by her parents? If the bride is to be given away, so should the man. I don’t get the whole giving away part anyways. It’s not like the parents actually own their child. They can give themselves away without the permission from their parents. Also when the minister, or who ever says the line “You may now kiss your bride” that totally irks me. The bride does not belong to the groom and the man shouldn’t be allowed to make the first move.

When I get married, and that’s if I do, I am going to put a spin on this wedding game. I will make my wedding totally untraditional. I will definitely not be married in a church, I may be a Christian, but where is the fun in that. Weddings are supposed to cause passion between the young couple, and I just don’t find a church very romantic. There is no way anyone can get me into one of those puffy, ruffled, ugly, white dresses. I wouldn’t even wear a nice simple white dress. White seems tends to not be my kind of color; Now blinding, outstanding hot pink is! I would prefer to wear what I am comfortable in, jeans and a tee shirt, with a jacket to boot.

Along with no church and disgusting dress there will be no bridesmaids, groomsmen, and barley any wedding guests. I would prefer to elope with my fiancé, alone, some where exotic and different, like underneath the pyramids in Egypt or deep in the midst of the jungles in South America. Why spend money on a big white wedding when you can take the money and run?


The whole big white wedding thing just seems just so frivolous to me. They seem so pretentious. The weddings are more about the show than the act. I just don’t get the attraction to those large weddings.