I Want Someone Like Him | Teen Ink

I Want Someone Like Him

By invisiblesoul BRONZE, Covington, Georgia
invisiblesoul BRONZE, Covington, Georgia

Be strong now, because things will get better. It may rain now, but it can't rain forever.

I love to read books and watch movies with happy endings. I really do. And I love to read books and watch movies where the guy-saves-girl and the seemingly pre-historic notion of chivalry is my dream. I’ve read all the books in the Twilight series many times, and like thousands (or even millions) of other girls, I swoon over Edward Cullen. Not because he’s a vampire and I have a thing for the occult, or because he’s sparkly and I like diamonds. I don’t even wish for a boyfriend who’s called “beautiful”, “perfect”, “flawless”, and can carry me in his arms while running at super-speed! No, the thing that attracts me to Edward Cullen in the same thing that draws me to Mr. Darcy.
I watch the guys around me, and some make me shake my head, while others make me bat my eye lashes. I’m not watching for one with a muscular physique, I’m looking for someone who opens doors for girls, lets women walk before him, and will stand on the subway so that the old lady who smells weird can sit. The thing I love about Edward is that he so obviously is looking out for the clumsy Bella.
Now, we’re not all as accident-prone as that heroine, but I do believe that most girls, even the staunchly feminist ones, really only want a guy who will look out for them, protect them at all costs, and carry them away into the sunset. In this modern age, where men and women are often treated as equals, I know that what’s true for me must be true for many. Girls don’t want to be a guy’s equal, they want to be a treasured, protected, delicate prize! They want to be loved, and doted upon, and picked up when they’ve fallen. I know there are always those who will plow on ahead, “I don’t need guys!” No, you’re right, you don’t. But they need you.
My Mom always says when I come home complaining about how so-and-so is so much nicer when he’s with me than when he’s with his buddies, that “Girls have a civilizing effect on guys.” I’m sure that’s true. Haven’t you ever seen the movie with the hunky football guy getting all nervous and panicked and shy in preparation for his date?
I just want a guy…who will walk up and introduce himself on my first day at the new school and ask me (with no ulterior motive) if I need any help finding classes. I want a guy…who will come over when I’m sick, and help my Mom serve me soup and tea. I want a guy who won’t make sick jokes in front of me, but can still goof off with his friends. I want a guy who will dress up for homecoming and take me to the dance even though he can’t stand wearing a tie. I want a guy who will open the car door for me. I want a guy who will give me options for date night, yet still be creative enough to come up with ideas himself.
I know this guy. He’s a couple years older than me, so I’m not stupid enough to have a crush on him, though we are casual friends. I will call him “Aaron”. I know another girl who is his age. I’ll call her “Christie”. They are really good friends, and share a lot of mutual connections. He’s hot, sweet, funny, popular, and just nice. He so obviously adores her. She’s tiny, cute, sweet, popular and nice. She makes it clear that they’re just friends. And he’s okay with that. He still sits with her at lunch, they stand talking in the hallway, and they went to prom together. He’s totally fine with being friends, nothing more, because that’s what she wants. He never acts jealous, he never tells her what she should do, and when she broke up with her boyfriend a couple months ago he let her cry on his shoulder. The thing that gets me about him though, is not just his total chivalry towards her, it's the fact that he extends that same courtesy to all her friends, and me, and even all of my girlfriends. I watch Aaron and Christie, and can’t believe they don’t date. He provides hope that the world is not totally uncivilized. You look at Aaron, and wonder why girls settle for less than a knight who treats you like a princess. I want a boyfriend just like him.
It’s a good thing he’s got a little brother.

This is a piece that I feel quite strongly about. Too often girls feel they have to settle for second best. It may not seem like it, but there are guys out there that are worth waiting for.

on Dec. 26 2010 at 3:18 am
thanks dude, at least im not alone on that.

on Dec. 26 2010 at 12:44 am
WriterFanatic PLATINUM, DesMoines, Iowa

A coward is incapable of exhibiting love; it is the prerogative of the brave.
By Gandhi.

Haha no! I am also a guy and agree with you 100%

TrinityCreed said...
as a guy: i would like a girl to accept me 4 who i am, treat me nice, enjoy life with me, talk about anything in life, and love me. out of ur opinion, do u think im a bit too mushy about this?

Thanks! I  wrote this a while ago and just now re-read it...I can't believe all the mistakes I made, and all the ways I could have written better, but I still believe the same things. :)

SarClark BRONZE, NC, Connecticut
Yay for little brothers :) this is really good, made me smile :)

on Dec. 8 2009 at 9:43 am

Thank you, I think I try to write exactly as if I was there talking to you. Sometimes though, that's not a good thing. A lot of the time what comes out of my mouth is complete gibberish. :)

Any and all comments are appreciated, thanks!

thatgirl_93 said...
on Dec. 7 2009 at 9:46 am
you have an excellent way with words =)

Thanks to you both for commenting! I agree, while almost all of my girl friends have read the twilight books, I only know one guy who's reading them currently. I think if more guys read them, they would really get a clue about why their girlfriends just loooooooooooove Edward Cullen. :)

Anders said...
on Dec. 4 2009 at 11:35 am
I'm a boy, and I read the Twilight books. They're really good, and I don't think other boys are giving them a chance.

on Dec. 3 2009 at 8:30 am
PoisonedLove SILVER, Hobbs, New Mexico

They all happen to be from David Levithan since he is my favorite author

"You will always be my always"
"Remember that at any given moment there are a thousand things you can love."
"Being a b*** is easy. It's finding the alternative that's hard."

I enjoyed reading this and agree with you