Beauty or Brains?

Have you ever wondered why guys only choose to date the girls that are either brainless, or have a completely fake personality? Well, I think that the answer remains questioned. Most guys go after the “hot blondes,” not really caring about their personality, and only their looks. I think that this issue causes three main problems. For one, it makes some girls feel insecure, or not “pretty” enough. Two, it gives girls a label on what they should and should not look like. And lastly, it tells girls that we need to reach a high expectation to be good enough.

As we know, the world is not perfect. However, we also live in a very judgmental world. Today, girls are constantly judged on their facial features, they eye and hair color, their body, and more. When guys choose the girls with not only no brain, but a horrible personality, it shows what kind of guy that person really is. Not only is it a shallow act on the guy’s part, but it also offends the girls. When girls see that guys are not going to be interested unless you meet certain expectations, they tend to change their features to meet others expectations. Things such as dying hair and acting dumb are two things that girls do just to get guy’s attention, knowing that they will not even notice them unless they act that way. Because of all these horrendous acts, girls are influenced to change themselves to the way others would rather them look like.

All throughout magazine’s, girls are shown what they should and should not look like. For instance, have you ever seen an overweight person on the cover of a magazine? This example is why so many girls are self conscious, because they are not only constantly judged by everyone around them, but also by guys. I think that guys play a major part in why girls sometimes do not feel pretty enough. For one, most guys do not talk to the girls that they do not feel are up to their “standards.” In most cases, personality is the last thing that even matters. Most guys only care about the outside appearance. Even though they say that they look for sweet, beautiful girls, they tend to go for the brainless fake girls instead. Even though guys might say that they want sophisticated girls that are intelligent and sweet, they usually don’t keep their word. Unfortunately, girls cannot control the looks they are born with, but it is also up to them weather to change themselves just for the benefit of guys.

Having high expectations is not only rude, but it is also making girls be something they are not. If a guy truly liked a girl, he would accept the way she was and not ask her to change. Even though magazines show that we are supposed to look thin, with perfect hair and a perfect body, girls cannot be perfect no matter how hard we try. Even though on the surface, a girl may act like they are comfortable with being someone who they aren’t, they would much rather be accepted the way they are without someone asking them to change just to be accepted. Even though they will not admit it, they would much rather have boys ask them to stay exactly who they are. Sometimes it is difficult for a guy to admit that they would rather have a clueless attractive girl than an average intelligent one. However, if the world only depended on outer appearances, how would problems such as racism or discrimination ever be solved?

I believe that judging girls from their outer appearance is wrong as well as insulting. The next time a guy thinks about rejecting an intelligent girl, I think that they should think about what will end up happening in the long run. If judging continues, it think that not only will girl’s self esteem continue to drop, but that they will never feel good enough, even though they cannot change what they were given. I also think that guys should be able to step up and know that judging girls is wrong, and it will only continue to affect girls in a negative way in the long run.

cherry said...
Sept. 21, 2012 at 9:12 am:
I honestly believe that guys do choose girls for there looks. Because most guys right now at the age of 14-18 dont really care about the girls they date they only date them because there "hot". Most girls want guys to love them and have that perfect happy ending. But guys dont see it that way.

deanna98 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Aug. 24, 2012 at 11:02 am:
I have felt much like your descriptions of these poor girls, but thank God all of the guys I know are kind and sweet. I'm not really attractive but at least I have one friend that swears I'm beautiful. Why? He loves my personality. And I've had time to develop it as I'm not focused too much on my physical appearance.

Maggie H. said...
Mar. 29, 2012 at 3:45 pm:
Yeah i totally agree. Really I think the thing that attracts guys to girls at the teenage is looks, not good values, good personality just how hot or not they are. Real guys don't just like the looks and they shouldn't because unfortunately you do age and grow wrinkles, and when when you start looking like a grandma you want a guy to be there. 

SecrecyGirl15 said...
Mar. 7, 2012 at 2:27 pm:
i agree with you completely! I also think that guys are judged by their friends and are pressured to date the "fake" girls or their friends will call them "gay" as most of the guys i know do to each other. that being said, as guys grow up they mature and form their own opinions and start going for girls they think are attractive yet also smart and have a future ahead.

Alice said...
I disagree with your premise entirely. I believe that you are making two huge assumptions. (a) It is extremely judgmental of you to label a large category of girls as being "fake." Sure, there are some girls who choose to put more time into their appearance than you do, but calling them "fake" objectifies them in a worse ways than the boys who choose to date them over "intelligent" girls. Girls can "act fake" (a.e., wear make up and short skirts or whatever other criteria "fake" encapsulates) an... (more »)

BenTheBYM replied...
May 9, 2012 at 4:25 pm :

I agree with you. guys can date who they want and shouldn't be juged about it.

claire.y23 said...
I agree. But not all guys choose "fake" girls.

dintandmint This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I agree in part with your thoughts. However, as a girl, I see alot of other girls judging guys only skin deep. So if we want change, everyone would have to learn to approach romantic eligibles with respect and judging on the mind inside the pretty face.

IT_WILL_RAIN said...
i think you should write a book on this because you obviously have thought this through and you know what your talking about very good argument.....

IT_WILL_RAIN replied...
Jan. 1, 2012 at 4:27 pm :
i dont mean to start any fights though.

CorrinaElisabeth said...

I agree with part of what you're saying. I know a lot of guys who are just as shallow as, or more so than this essay says.I also know that girls are pressured - a lot! - to be like the models on Seventeen, Vogue, etc.

However, I also know a lot of guys who go far deeper than the stereotype in this article. Some girls are ditzy - some guys are shallow. But neither category is exclusive.

I also find, talking to my guy friends/brothers, that sure, they'll date the gir... (more »)

MzRogersBabe said...
Nov. 19, 2011 at 1:53 am:
I totally agree with this but at the same time i dont think its all boys fault. To tell you the truth we girls do the same thing and its time all of us step up and stop.!

Nick said...

Are you kidding me! Stereotyping all of those poor guys out there? I would like to inform you that I am currently in a beauyiful reletionship with a girl who has black hair, brown eyes, and who has a soft spot for good poetry!

Now on to the good stuff: your writing was awesome! I could claerly see your voice and you were (as far as I could see) grammatically correct. Just try not to be so sexist.

nicole_ashley said...
I have to say being a girl I completely agree with this article, but I also think it's alitte one sided, I know that I do the same thing alot also when I'm looking at guys, even while they're doing it to me. We all need to stop and look at whats on the inside alone with the outside.

silver47 said...

I am a guy but I have to say I totally agree with this and would like to say its the same the other way around :) I have seen this all my life and dislike it ... anyway xD great writing techniques, love it

-Alex

Incitata said...

"Having high expectations is not only rude,"

I'm sorry, but I can't agree.  I don't think having high expectations is rude at all.  In fact, i think it's completely necessary.  If you don't have high expectations, people can treat you any way they want and there's nothing you can do about it, because you don't have high expectations.  

nicole_ashley replied...
Oct. 27, 2011 at 7:24 pm :
I both agree and disagree with that statement, true if you don't have high expactions then anyone can treat you any way they want, but also the writer of this article is right. I think that the high expections need to be evened out between looks and brains, not all in one category or the other.

$inamon said...
Sept. 13, 2011 at 8:54 am:
Your so fricken sexist. Your just as bad when it comes to judging people. You should think before you write next time hypocrite.

$ugar replied...
Sept. 13, 2011 at 9:09 am :
I completly agree. This article is Very stereotypical and I, as a man, completly disagree

CorrinaElisabeth replied...
Dec. 10, 2011 at 5:20 pm :
I agree that this article is a biased...but that doesn't mean you have to name-call, does it?