The Freedom to Love (LGBT relationships)

I absolutely don’t understand how some, in fact many, people have problems with LGBT (lesbian gay bisexual transsexual) relationships. In 2007, 1,460 hate crimes were officially reported. That’s an average of four crimes a day! Something should be done about terrible things like this, because LGBT relationships are not something to be discriminated against for.

You can control what clothes you wear, what food you eat, what you do for fun, and what kind of people you talk to and are friends with. But one thing that you can’t choose is your sexual orientation. It’s just wrong to say that someone is going to hell or is hated by God because he or she likes people of the same gender.

Hating someone because he or she is a lesbian, gay, etc., is, in my opinion, as inexcusable a crime as racism. As I said before, this is something that you have NO control over, just like the color of your skin. Nobody has the right to tell anyone else who they are allowed to like/love just because someone “can’t have babies” because of his or her sexual orientation.

It’s not a clearly defined right given to us in the Constitution, but I think that the Freedom to Love ranks right up there with the right to free speech and the freedom of religion.

proudmommy17 said...
Jun. 23, 2010 at 2:51 pm:
i totalley agree. my bf is white and im black and we get startes look and gossiped abt alot because we are differennt races. and i guess to alot of those it seems like we are suppose to date the right color. but we love eachother alot we have been togther for almost 2 years with a baby. i try to ignore the disrimination...

Sliva23fallen said...
Jun. 23, 2010 at 7:48 am:
You are totally right! My sister has a problem about people like that and it bugs me! I have a gay friend and she treats him like he doesnt exist. I just really dislike people like that. We are all people and we are all different!

Spoiled-Chicken said...
Jun. 1, 2010 at 6:37 am:
nice job! and if the peiople wanna be weird then let them. Even though it is wrong, well they are mature enough to make there own desitions on things like that. I know a person that isn't a homo, and he gets called a homo but honestly it's not true. He wouldn't be a homo if we were together.
(we were.) But it shows people have no respect to other people.

crawfordkid This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Apr. 9, 2010 at 5:18 am:
Wonderful writing, great job! I would have liked to see you give a little bit more elaboration, but that's just me...overall wonderful work, and great article!

DizzyRae said...
Feb. 11, 2010 at 1:41 pm:
Actually..I am a lesbian ..With some LGBT people it is a choice & it isnt..It depends on the person and how they feel..Frankly, I feel like the straight people who tell us we cant do this or that feel threatened in some way because of change..

rawr5 said...
thank you for writing this!!
i'm straight,
and i 100% agree you cant change how you feel abouut someone and no matter what you sexuality it's ok!!!!!!

erinXrose said...
ok well i'm sorry, but personally i'm against gay , bisexualism or whatever you called it. I don't discriminate and I treat them like I would anyone else, but i don't agree with what they're doing, and i won't support them. Most people when they see 2 dudes kiss want to gag and that's a natural reaction because that's not how things are meant to be. I know a lot of people aren't gonna agree, but whatever that's my opinion

greg9381 replied...
Dec. 12, 2009 at 12:53 pm :
ok. you don't have to be sorry. it's your opinion.

erinXrose replied...
Dec. 13, 2009 at 4:24 pm :
lol ya i guess not

ilovestarz replied...
May 10, 2010 at 1:11 pm :
y do u not like gays? is it uz of da bible well if thats it the bible aslso encourages acceptance and kindness!!

erinXrose replied...
May 12, 2010 at 11:27 am :
Well if you actually read my comment you'de see that I don't not like gays my best friend is bi, but I don't support it

dancegirl13 replied...
Jun. 18, 2012 at 1:04 pm :
In your original comment you say something about how homosexual relationships are 'not how it was meant to be'. How in the world do you know how it was meant to be? How do you know that from the very beginning of time homosexuality wasn't expressed?

CaseyLeigh This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I absolutely agree with this article. Good job. :]

Elana F. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Not that I have anything against LGBT relations, I actually support them, but it's wrong to say that they can't choose. Anyone can choose who they love. Yes, it may be partially a chemical inbalance but not fully. Once again I am not a homophobic. I totally support LGBT relationships.

greg9381 replied...
Nov. 3, 2009 at 5:27 pm :
I guess there's not a clear answer to the question of whether or not you choose to be gay, but I researched a little. http://www.politico.com/blogs/glennthrush/1009/GOP_aide_Homosexuality_is_a_choice_religion_isnt.html
I think the most important sentence is "The American Psychiatric Association and virtually every other mainstream scientific group that has examined the issue has concluded that homosexuality is neither an illness nor a lifestyle choice, and there are lots of medi... (more »)

RainBow said...
i personally am bisexual. nd in a relationship. with alot of problems. my gf's mom is practically forcing ues to break up because we supposebly have the devil in us. hah. rite. we love each other nd no one will ever tear us apart. we have our lives planned out. nd looking forward to adoption...:] i love this!!!

MonaLisa218 replied...
Feb. 20, 2011 at 4:14 pm :
i think your gf's mom needs to chill and except you guys being together and just be happy for you. you guys love each other and that's all that matters so if she doesn't accept you well then oh well just be in love.

Emma99 said...
Nov. 1, 2009 at 12:05 am:
Thank you SO MUCH for writing this. My younger brother is gay , and because of that his life has turned into something it really shouldn't have been. It even affects me, and my life. People should just accept the fact that you can like whichever gender you want to.

lost_in_myself said...
Oct. 30, 2009 at 9:21 am:
Like you, i am also straight, but i really like this. I believe that everyone has the right to be with whoever they want and nobody should tell them otherwise. Society needs to quit putting down anybody who is just a little bit different.

greg9381 replied...
Nov. 2, 2009 at 4:54 pm :
thanks, yeah, I don't think it's our place to tell someone who they can/can't be with.