The Freedom to Love (LGBT relationships) | Teen Ink

The Freedom to Love (LGBT relationships)

By greg9381 GOLD, Atlanta, Georgia
greg9381 GOLD, Atlanta, Georgia

I absolutely don’t understand how some, in fact many, people have problems with LGBT (lesbian gay bisexual transsexual) relationships. In 2007, 1,460 hate crimes were officially reported. That’s an average of four crimes a day! Something should be done about terrible things like this, because LGBT relationships are not something to be discriminated against for.

You can control what clothes you wear, what food you eat, what you do for fun, and what kind of people you talk to and are friends with. But one thing that you can’t choose is your sexual orientation. It’s just wrong to say that someone is going to hell or is hated by God because he or she likes people of the same gender.

Hating someone because he or she is a lesbian, gay, etc., is, in my opinion, as inexcusable a crime as racism. As I said before, this is something that you have NO control over, just like the color of your skin. Nobody has the right to tell anyone else who they are allowed to like/love just because someone “can’t have babies” because of his or her sexual orientation.

It’s not a clearly defined right given to us in the Constitution, but I think that the Freedom to Love ranks right up there with the right to free speech and the freedom of religion.

I'm straight, but I see and hear many people talking about the issue of gay marriage, etc. It's something I feel strongly about even though it doesn't directly affect me. Please comment, and if you don't agree, please explain your point of view. Thanks!

on Jul. 15 2010 at 10:08 pm
Ashleen Strei, Woodbridge, Virginia

Not only that, but there are so many options other than the traditional bedroom style for human creation. Egg donors, sperm donors, and artificial insemination are just a few choices that have are just as likely to produce a straight human as a homosexual human. It hasn't been officially decided or accepted by society, but the most common belief is that homosexuality is a chemical imbalance in the brain based off of genetics OR childhood experiences, when a child is most vulnerable to succumb to outside influences. Therefore, it's literally impossible for everyone to become LGBT, because genetically speaking, it comes in by generation.

Just sayin'

on Jun. 23 2010 at 2:51 pm
FantasyWriter17, Rialto, California

TO THE WORLD U MAY BE ONE PERSON BUT TO ONE PERSON U MAY BE THE WORLD!:)

i totalley agree. my bf is white and im black and we get startes look and gossiped abt alot because we are differennt races. and i guess to alot of those it seems like we are suppose to date the right color. but we love eachother alot we have been togther for almost 2 years with a baby. i try to ignore the disrimination...

Sliva23 BRONZE said...
on Jun. 23 2010 at 7:48 am
Sliva23 BRONZE, Melbourne, Other

Love to faults is always blind, always is to joy inclined. Lawless, winged, and unconfined, and breaks all chains from every mind.

You are totally right! My sister has a problem about people like that and it bugs me! I have a gay friend and she treats him like he doesnt exist. I just really dislike people like that. We are all people and we are all different!

on Jun. 1 2010 at 6:37 am
BeYOUtiful_13 BRONZE, Tinley Park, Illinois

“Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.”
~Marilyn Monroe

nice job! and if the peiople wanna be weird then let them. Even though it is wrong, well they are mature enough to make there own desitions on things like that. I know a person that isn't a homo, and he gets called a homo but honestly it's not true. He wouldn't be a homo if we were together.
(we were.) But it shows people have no respect to other people.

on May. 12 2010 at 11:27 am
erinXrose PLATINUM, Albuquerque, New Mexico

"There are two great days in a person's life, the day we are born and the day we discover why."

Well if you actually read my comment you'de see that I don't not like gays my best friend is bi, but I don't support it

Vanna-Rae GOLD said...
on May. 10 2010 at 1:11 pm
Vanna-Rae GOLD, Bixby, Oklahoma

To the well organized mind death is the next greatest adventure.

y do u not like gays? is it uz of da bible well if thats it the bible aslso encourages acceptance and kindness!!

on Apr. 9 2010 at 5:18 am
Karma_Chameleon SILVER, English, Indiana

To be able to say "I love you" one must first be able to say "I" - Ayn Rand

Wonderful writing, great job! I would have liked to see you give a little bit more elaboration, but that's just me...overall wonderful work, and great article!

on Feb. 11 2010 at 1:41 pm
DizzyRae PLATINUM, Fort Washington, Maryland

“For one human being to love another; that is perhaps the most difficult of our tasks; the ultimate, the last test and proof; the work for which all other work is but preparation.”
-Rainer Maria Rilke

Actually..I am a lesbian ..With some LGBT people it is a choice & it isnt..It depends on the person and how they feel..Frankly, I feel like the straight people who tell us we cant do this or that feel threatened in some way because of change..

rawr5 said...
on Dec. 29 2009 at 1:52 pm
thank you for writing this!!

i'm straight,

and i 100% agree you cant change how you feel abouut someone and no matter what you sexuality it's ok!!!!!!

on Dec. 13 2009 at 4:24 pm

lol ya i guess not

greg9381 GOLD said...
on Dec. 12 2009 at 12:53 pm
greg9381 GOLD, Atlanta, Georgia
ok. you don't have to be sorry. it's your opinion.

on Dec. 7 2009 at 9:45 pm

ok well i'm sorry, but personally i'm against gay , bisexualism or whatever you called it. I don't discriminate and I treat them like I would anyone else, but i don't agree with what they're doing, and i won't support them. Most people when they see 2 dudes kiss want to gag and that's a natural reaction because that's not how things are meant to be. I know a lot of people aren't gonna agree, but whatever that's my opinion

on Nov. 4 2009 at 5:08 pm
CaseyLeigh PLATINUM, Moraga, California

My wish, for you, is that this life becomes all that you want it to.

I absolutely agree with this article. Good job. :]

greg9381 GOLD said...
on Nov. 3 2009 at 5:27 pm
greg9381 GOLD, Atlanta, Georgia
I guess there's not a clear answer to the question of whether or not you choose to be gay, but I researched a little. http://www.politico.com/blogs/glennthrush/1009/GOP_aide_Homosexuality_is_a_choice_religion_isnt.html
I think the most important sentence is "The American Psychiatric Association and virtually every other mainstream scientific group that has examined the issue has concluded that homosexuality is neither an illness nor a lifestyle choice, and there are lots of media reports contending that gay 're-orientation' programs don't work much of the time." It's just an article, but I still feel like it's a stretch to say that you actually choose whether you like guys or girls.

on Nov. 3 2009 at 3:36 pm
soccerpsycho49 PLATINUM, Teaneck, New Jersey

Those who say that sunshine is happiness have never danced in the rain.

Not that I have anything against LGBT relations, I actually support them, but it's wrong to say that they can't choose. Anyone can choose who they love. Yes, it may be partially a chemical inbalance but not fully. Once again I am not a homophobic. I totally support LGBT relationships.

on Nov. 2 2009 at 6:41 pm
hopelesslyhoping BRONZE, Newtown, Pennsylvania
um, he's not suggesting that EVERYONE should go against what most of society thinks is acceptable and become LGBT. he's saying that he feels that people should be accepting to the fact that love truly has no bounds - gender or otherwise. I'm not lesbian or bisexual or anything, but I don't think there's anything wrong with people who are. they're not hurting anyone by being who they want to be - the population is growing at an exponential rate, we are in no danger of the human population becoming extinct.

greg9381 GOLD said...
on Nov. 2 2009 at 4:54 pm
greg9381 GOLD, Atlanta, Georgia
thanks, yeah, I don't think it's our place to tell someone who they can/can't be with.

greg9381 GOLD said...
on Nov. 2 2009 at 4:51 pm
greg9381 GOLD, Atlanta, Georgia
ok, so your problem is that gays can't procreate? I respect your opinion, but what about people who are infertile? They can't procreate, either. If everyone were infertile, we wouldn't have any children. So should we cast them out of society? I'd say no...

RainBow said...
on Nov. 2 2009 at 4:46 pm
i personally am bisexual. nd in a relationship. with alot of problems. my gf's mom is practically forcing ues to break up because we supposebly have the devil in us. hah. rite. we love each other nd no one will ever tear us apart. we have our lives planned out. nd looking forward to adoption...:] i love this!!!

Emma99 GOLD said...
on Nov. 1 2009 at 12:05 am
Emma99 GOLD, Kamloops, Other
Thank you SO MUCH for writing this. My younger brother is gay , and because of that his life has turned into something it really shouldn't have been. It even affects me, and my life. People should just accept the fact that you can like whichever gender you want to.