The Freedom to Love (LGBT relationships)

I absolutely don’t understand how some, in fact many, people have problems with LGBT (lesbian gay bisexual transsexual) relationships. In 2007, 1,460 hate crimes were officially reported. That’s an average of four crimes a day! Something should be done about terrible things like this, because LGBT relationships are not something to be discriminated against for.

You can control what clothes you wear, what food you eat, what you do for fun, and what kind of people you talk to and are friends with. But one thing that you can’t choose is your sexual orientation. It’s just wrong to say that someone is going to hell or is hated by God because he or she likes people of the same gender.

Hating someone because he or she is a lesbian, gay, etc., is, in my opinion, as inexcusable a crime as racism. As I said before, this is something that you have NO control over, just like the color of your skin. Nobody has the right to tell anyone else who they are allowed to like/love just because someone “can’t have babies” because of his or her sexual orientation.

It’s not a clearly defined right given to us in the Constitution, but I think that the Freedom to Love ranks right up there with the right to free speech and the freedom of religion.

Aspiringauhor said...
I agree. There's nothing else to say.

ThisBreRulezYouSonnn said...
Jul. 24, 2011 at 7:13 am:

I was agreeing with you until you said that being lesbian, gay, etc. is like the color of your skin--uncontrollable. I'm a black, fifteen-year-old girl and although you can't choose the color of your skin, you can choose your lifestyle and sexual orientation. 

Most straight girls have urges to be with other girls, but they fight it and stay with guys. Does that sound uncontrollable? I think not. 

But, yeah, LGBT is fine--what happens in the bedroom stays in the bedroom... (more »)

greg9381 replied...
Oct. 15, 2011 at 9:58 pm :

Of course you can choose your lifestyle, but as for sexual orientation, I feel that it's this simple: if you feel sexually attracted to someone that's the same gender as you, then you're not 100% straight. Each person's sexuality exists on a spectrum, and some would say that no one is completely gay or straight.

But we don't make the conscious choice to only be attracted to girls or to guys. All anyone can do is ignore those urges, but that's NOT the same thing as choosing whether... (more »)

Madame replied...
Oct. 20, 2011 at 10:45 pm :
Do you know a lot of people that have to fight to stay with men, honey that's not being straight that being in denial, and itts not a choic; because if it was why would so many gay people choose to be ridiculed ostrascized and bashed? And what do you mean all in your face with lgbt that just doesn't make sense do you mean litterally?

greg9381 said...
Mar. 14, 2011 at 8:58 pm:

Thanks for all of your comments. I didn't expect this article to be especially popular; I mostly wrote it because I haven't written a lot of "opinion pieces" and this is something I think needs to be talked about. But I'm really glad to have people talking about it here, so thanks again!

And check out the other things I've written, if you like ^^

mnt87 said...
Mar. 14, 2011 at 8:46 pm:
Oh, and I forgot to mention in my previous post, this is a very well written article. I agree with what you are saying 100%!

eilishrose said...
Feb. 20, 2011 at 5:34 pm:
sorry, my last comment was supposed to be a reply, I loved your article, and I completly agree.

eilishrose said...
Feb. 20, 2011 at 5:27 pm:
People dying for matiral things everyday is a perfect world to you?  Just wondering..

Me'nMyYoyo said...
I'm straight, and i completely agree with you! I can't stand close minded people (bible thumpers, no offense) its just not okay 

HisPurePrincess This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Feb. 6, 2011 at 10:41 pm :
i guess i might be in the category of a bible thumper more than not, but I don't hate LGBT's, I just don't understand or want to talk to them.   personally, they creep me out, but i do NOT hate them.  this is a fallen world, and God created us to be perfect.  in a perfect world, LGBT's would not exist.

eilishrose replied...
Feb. 20, 2011 at 5:29 pm :
People dying everyday for no reason is a perfect world to you?  Just wondering.

Apr. 5, 2011 at 11:48 am :
I said this was a fallen world, not a perfect world.  When God created the world, it was perfect.  Now it's messed up.  If someone said this was a perfect world, they are just weird.

DaeRae replied...
Apr. 5, 2011 at 10:48 pm :
I agree with this. Some people think the world is perfect, but its far from it. If the world was perferct, there wouldn't be wars, hate crimes, or any other discrimination of people because of their race, ethnic group, sexuality, ect. If all of this were to stop, we would be a step closer to a more perfect world

ambnyc This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Aug. 20, 2011 at 2:24 pm :

You don't hate them, but they "creep you out" and "in a perfect world they would not exist"?

No, you do hate them, you bigot.

DaeRae replied...
Oct. 15, 2011 at 9:45 pm :
Do me a favor, and understand what im saying before you make a comment. I just reread what i posted five times and never did it say that They creep me out and that the world would be perfect if they didnt exist.

greg9381 replied...
Oct. 15, 2011 at 9:47 pm :
ambnyc was responding to "HisPurePrincess"

WindDancer said...
You did a really great job writing this! I totally agree. Love is love!

oddballinthegroup said...
this is true some of the kids at my school can be really mean and say homophobic things

Ashleen S. said...
Jul. 15, 2010 at 10:08 pm:

Not only that, but there are so many options other than the traditional bedroom style for human creation. Egg donors, sperm donors, and artificial insemination are just a few choices that have are just as likely to produce a straight human as a homosexual human. It hasn't been officially decided or accepted by society, but the most common belief is that homosexuality is a chemical imbalance in the brain based off of genetics OR childhood experiences, when a child is most vulnerable to succumb... (more »)

HannahD26 replied...
May 19, 2011 at 7:15 pm :
I totally agree with the opinion here! There are other options for recreation. You are sooo right about this!