Is It Love?

I don't know about you, but my friends who have boyfriends always talk about how much they love them and how they think that he's "the one." But really, he probably isn't. And the next one most likely won't be either. And love...most people in high school don't know what love is. When a couple has been going out for a week and they start saying "i love you" to each other, is it really true? I mean, I'm a total believer in love at first sight, but this is taking it way too far. To really love someone, you have to take the chance to get to know them. You can't just wake up one day and decide that you love someone. The feelings have to grow, and over time you come to realize that you do love them. But people throw around the words "I love you" so much that most people don't even know what it is truly supposed to mean. Love is supposed to be two people who know each other better than anyone else, who realize that the only thing they want out of life is to spend it with that other person. Love is supposed to lead to long-term relationships, being with the other person forever, till death do you part. I mean, think about it. To all you couples who say you love each other. Do you really? Would you be willing to stay with that person for the rest of your life? I'm not saying that you have to marry the person you love, and that you only fall in love once during your life. I'm just saying that you should think about how you truly feel, deep down inside, before you tell the other person that. It is supposed to be a major milestone in a relationship, not something that happens overnight.

fizzaThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 26, 2011 at 12:53 am
u r true. now a days everyone takes the word "i love you" as a perfectly ridiculed joke even if they don't mean it. 

kittyBoo said...
Feb. 14, 2011 at 10:26 am
wow thats so true.......

jordanneel said...
Jan. 24, 2011 at 12:00 am
Thank you! All my friends that are in relationships toss the words "I love you" around and when I tell them they don't know what love is they say yes I do. 2 weeks later they break up. You took the word right out of my mouth, and you wrote this article brilliantly!

ieshadanai said...
Jan. 23, 2011 at 10:34 am
I agree. i'm fifteen and have been in a few realtionships and the guy would be like i love you after a week or two and im just not ready to say it back. Theres this guy that i knew and i really did have feelings that i havnt felt before and it just seemed so wierd cause im so young. We really did get to know eachother well enough to where i can tell him that i love him.

WriterFanatic This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Dec. 26, 2010 at 12:30 am
I also agree. In my opinion, you have to become good friends with that person. So by the time you go out you would know so much about each other. It makes it more enjoyable....and worth it

AlexaConnor33 said...
I most definatly agree. I've been with my girlfriend for 6 months, and I didn't say it until three months in, and even then I said "I love you as much as I can for being 16, it may not last forever but right now I know that I would do anything for you, despite anything you have told me." Love is a great feeling if you expirience it right.

Killy Keebler said...
Dec. 10, 2010 at 7:53 am
Im not sure about this relationship

elizabeth760 said...
you beat me to the punch lol that's sooo true i've been thinking about that lately people have to put more thought into it

americasnextfreak said...

I agree with you mayzielabird

lalalaloopsy replied...
u really need a boy 2make u feel good about urself get a life u make girls look stupid spineless and wimpy

BiancaJ said...
Jun. 17, 2010 at 7:44 am

I know about that, I'm almost 15 years old, and I don't have a boyfriend yet, all my friends have a relantionship is to sad for me :(

I want a guy who love me a lot :3

teenagedream replied...
Dec. 10, 2010 at 9:47 am
yea but just because you have a boyfriend doesnt mean you have to i felt like i need what my friends need but guys usally break a girls heart

ayedeezyf.baby said...
May 4, 2010 at 11:37 am
i feel the same way. people go walking through halls with their boyfriends or girlfriends saying i love you after going out with them for like a week? reallly!? they don't know what love is until you would practically die for that someone. that you can't go a day without. after a week i wouldnt dir for that someone soo that means i obviously dont love them.

Kat2292 said...
May 4, 2010 at 11:18 am
I absolutely agree with everything said here!  Peers of mine go around bragging of how much they love their boyfriend/girlfriend of a few weeks.  It's all their facebook statuses are about, and that person whom they "love" is their whole life.  Then they break up and say that they'll never be happy again.  A week later, the story starts over.  I see this way too much everywhere, and I'm happy to say that I didn't fall for that trap.  I have been in a relationship fo... (more »)

WritebyMoonlight This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Well put. I completely agree here. The better portion of my friends have boyfriends and fell in "love" with them in a matter of days. I've been dating my boyfriend for quite a while, and only now do I feel that I am in love. Not a week or two after we started dating. Crazy youngsters. :/

sunshine1516 said...
damn this is true im going through the same thing with my friends and them tell there bf they love them when only they just met like a week ago

hbeats4u2 said...
True! People do need to realize what it is they are saying. I understand your point perfectly and agree with it 110%!!

mayzielabird said...
This article is totally true. Eryone only has one person in the whole world that they are ever gonna marry, think about that.