My Engagement | Teen Ink

My Engagement

By emilyrosetownsend SILVER, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
emilyrosetownsend SILVER, Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

It's never as simple as a yes or a no. You get to know the other's family, their friends..their life. As teens, it can be easier, but harder at the same time. As crazy as it seems, the adults have it easier than us when falling in love.

I'm a teenager, and I'm in love. What is love, you ask? My definition of loving someone is that they'd be one of the 5 things you list when faced with the classic question, "Trapped on a desert island, 5 things. What do you pick?". He'd be the first person I'd pick.

But sadly, we're just teens. We haven't 'experienced life' or 'done anything special', yet we're the future leaders of this world. We DO make a difference. If we can make a change in this world, how come we can't really know what love is?

I will marry the guy I'm with, like many other teens know they'll marry the one they're with right this very second. I'm living out my engagement, one cough at a time.

PeachyKeenInPa, Carlisle, Pennsylvania
It's just not a realistic dream. I was there.  I thought I was gonna marry the guy I lost my virginity to but we broke up and it sucked.  And it still does.  We're not allowed to talk because of what we did.. I'm just trying to help :)

izzygurl said...
actually i think it was just something she said so that her article sounded nice...

bound4life4ever PLATINUM, Jamaica, New York

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

excuse me miss.... may i ask: how old r u?!

no disrespect but u really gonna marry him? like dont front, b real w urself 4 a sec.  srry if i sound stuck up..but really?

Weezmarie said...
on Sep. 21 2010 at 12:08 am
Weezmarie, Gregory, Michigan
I congradulate you on your engagement; but I don't think you should rush into a marriage by no means. You're young, and just starting out in life. Take things slow; you'll know in the long run if the commitment you're going to make is sincere :)

tianaxbiddy SILVER, Wareham, Massachusetts

"Plot is character revealed by action."

-Aristotle

we have already been talkn about wat its goin to b like wen we r married (im 15 he is 16 im a soon 2 b sophmore he is a soon 2 b junior)

"Plot is character revealed by action."

-Aristotle

true....i also kno i am goin to marry my current bf. he as already proposed.....well if my nanas ring counts then yes. xD

Duckie430 said...
on May. 30 2010 at 8:59 am
Duckie430, Riverside, Rhode Island

“The secret to life is being who you are and being happy with who you are.”
"Whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger."

this is true...actually, about 40% of people will marry their high school or college sweetheart

kitty08 said...
im happy 4 u and knw how u feel im borderline 18 and me and my bf plan on gettn married but we have tlkd bout our wat if's nobody really knws wat will happen in the future so i say go ahead get married and if things dnt work out by then well then u knw it wasnt meant 2 be

dReameRboy13 SILVER, Tarrs, Pennsylvania

"Live for tomorrow if not today, because things could always be worse, but you never know what tomorrow may hold... it could be the most important day of your life."

This whole situation is circumstantial. Personally, I think it is STUPID for anyone in high school to get engaged because they do have a whole new life ahead of them. They don't know who will stick with them and who will fade away. It's too risky and about 96.325% of those people will stop dating after high school. Good luck to you, though.

Belidama said...
on Feb. 9 2010 at 8:45 am
This is really cute :)

I hope you do end up spending the rest of your lives together

You know, I've actually thought about that a lot, and honestly, I can see myself with him for the rest of my life. He, thankfully, is my best friend. I can see where you're coming from, and thank you for your feedback.(:

grasslova GOLD said...
grasslova GOLD, Highland, Utah

When you learn to die, you learn to live - Morrie

I have one question for you: do you love him enough to stay with him for the rest of your life? Because that's what marriage is supposed to be. Two people in love enough that they want to stay together forever. I really am not trying to offend you, but rather make you ponder. Make sure that you love him, and that he really loves you back, you deserve that. Every girl out there does. Also, make sure he is your very best friend. The reason I am saying this is because that's what love is-- friendship on a deeper level. He should be the person you know you can always talk to about anything, no matter how big or small. You should be the same for him. Friendship is the foundation of love. Also, I just have to warn you, marriage is a lot of commitment! Make sure you're ready to take that on!! Be sure that he is willing and wanting to stay faithful for the duration of both your lives, and that you are willing to promise that as well.... I have a friend who got pregnant in the 8th grade. Now her whole life has gone off on a completely different course. Not necessarily in a bad way, but it's different from what the rest of us are doing. Yes, :) she has a beautiful baby that she absolutely adores and loves to death... but she wasn't ready for that kind of commitment at that tender age. Now she wants to get married to the father of her child. Unfortunately, I'm not so sure if that's going to work out. This goes the same for marriage.
Make sure you both are prepared and ready for what's going to come. Unlike bones, hearts bleed when they break. I sincerely hope this never happens to you. I've seen it happen, and want you to know beforehand that it hurts others close to you to watch you hurt, it doesn't only effect you. I hope this marriage makes you incredibly happy!!! If you both truly love each other, then I know that it will! I'm sure it will turn out marvelously! :D Best wishes, my friend!
<3 <3 with all my love, L.F.
good luck! :)

on Sep. 29 2009 at 12:27 am
Ren-P. PLATINUM, Tulsa, Oklahoma

"You must give up a life you’d planned in order to have the life that’s waiting for you." ~ Joseph Campbell

I like the way you wrote this article, and I think it is very cool, and sweet. Good luck! :)

kellygurl365 SILVER, Cave Junction, Oregon
i have thought this many times but i am the type of girl that is blinded by love and cant tell the diffrence... i live in the moment and make many drastic decisions while living in the moment and whatch it come bite me in the but

on Sep. 28 2009 at 10:09 am
smileysdeadvalentine GOLD, San Bernardino, California

"you like audry hepburn,harry houdinni and croket you can't swim, you can't dance and you don't know karate face you'll never gonna make it" "i dont want to make it"

i'm glad about your engagement. i hope everything goes well, if you think he is who you want to be with then don't let any one tell you that it won't work out.

Yeah, I understand what you mean. And who knows, something might happen to me and my guy, but the fact adults put high school kids down by saying, "Don't worry, it won't last anyway", is what gets me going.(:

thanks for the feedback!

CandieApple PLATINUM, Hartford, Wisconsin

The world is a stage, and we are merely players- Shakespeare (at least it goes something like that!!)

I agree it's very sweet. But I've never thought I'd marry a boyfriend that i've had in highschool. I think that getting married too soon would be a mistake(not saying your engagement is a mistake!). I've just always thought I would be more logical and think better when I was older and then I'd find someone nice, someone who cares about me! :) hope everything goes well with you and your guy!

biggerinfinities SILVER, Superior, Colorado

“We accept the love we think we deserve.”
― Stephen Chbosky, The Perks of Being a Wallflower

sweet.... i like it