"There are other fish in the sea"

By , Tulsa, OK
Where the heck did the phrase, “There are other fish in the sea,” come from? That is one of the dumbest clichés. After hearing my friend use that phrase a few too many times, I decided to come up with a few alternative motivators, using the same concept.

There are other stars in the sky.
There are other books in the library.
There are other subjects to learn.
There are other atoms to bond with.
There are other text books to study.
There are other planets to discover.
There are other countries to explore.
There are other photographs to capture.
There are other equations to solve.
There are other notes to take.
There are other interments to play.
There are other races to run.
There are other fabrics to sew.
There are other microscopes to look through.
There are other…fill in the blank, and stop using the old cliché of “other fish in the sea.”

Jaggerswagger said...
I usually just avoid the concept altogether

Lisa_Bhadd001 said...
Fyeee 

SpeakingLifeofSerenity said...
hahaha this is funny :)

kenzie011 said...
Wow haha this is so true!

HisPurePrincess This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
haha, love this.  :)

~Rissy-Roo~ said...
I know right its more like there is other fish in the sea oh wait theres an oil spill

SafeleoThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...

lolz :)

I know, that old cliche is so dumb. You can't just pick a random person and love him/her.

SpringRayynThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I love the atoms one! XD and the instruments one too. This made me laugh! C:

G-Ann said...
lol ilove it!

LivenLove said...
Aug. 20, 2010 at 8:50 am
hahaha i love this! it reminds of my health teachers saying "there are other buffalo over the hill" hahah where he got tht i have no idea lol

forgottenpenname This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Loved this! The one about atom made me laugh, and I really liked the first one, about the stars. :)

bound4life4ever This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
haha..its so true! one that i came up with was: "there are other fish in the sea. but you will always be my nemo"....its one oof my poems i put up

Keelin2010 said...
This is great! I've hear the saying "There are other fish in the sea" too many times. I really like "There are other races to run". I love running and can really connect with that one.

choirchic101 said...
i like the one that says there are other photographs to capture. here's one you can use "There are other memories to make".

NeverSayNever said...
hahaha I agree 110% and really like how you came up with the alterntives instead of just saying you can use other sayings

400king said...
Dec. 21, 2009 at 11:00 am
i think it's horrible to use fish in the sea quote, it's like seeing the other sex as nothing but a catch or a prize when they should be a gift.

forever_dancer said...
Cute! i like the star and photogragh ones best

Chelsea M. said...
There are other ways to put it, but the phrase "there are other fish in the sea" is one of the most common, popular ones. That's what I think.