Teenage Love?

Do you believe in love in high school? Could it possibly exist?

No way, kids don't know what true love is... But, how many people do you know that dated in high school that are currently married and happy? I personally know about 4 couples very very well that are now happy after being high school sweethearts. Did they just like each other as teens and grow to love each other? When did the "like" change to "love?" In college? Age 21? 22?23? Or could they possibly have loved each other all along?

How can you put an age on love?

I, personally, believe in teenage love. I truly think it exists. Adults that did not fall in love till they were, in fact, adults, will most likely dismiss it. However, some - like my mother, for instance - do not dismiss teenage love. Do you?

treysbabbygirl said...
i baleive in it to i have a boyfriend right now and i love him we have said it already to each other and weve kissed so i baleive in it

hollyhottell said...
i beleive in teen love. how can you put and age on love. we love our parents and our family. ( we do know what love is ) yes were young and learning to love in a new way but there are adults that still dont know the meaning of love. i am a sophmore in high school and i think i have met the man that i intend to be with the rest of my life. i love him and he loves me. i do know what love is

jordan_leigh replied...
Feb. 10, 2010 at 8:52 am
i agree very much so who says there is a certain age in which love happens? NOBODY thats who. nobody has the power to do that i strongly believe in teen love and i for one have felt it not once but a couple times and that is why ive been hurt. I,now boyfriendless, STILL believe in it, thats my honest oppinion

xxQuiETxxNiGhTxx said...
i think this is true i have a bf and i relly luv him but i waited until he said it first and then i was wondering did i say just cause he did but then something happend and i realized i relly do luv him and i dont no wat i do if something ever happen to him

the_invisible This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I do think that age doesn't matter that much in this context, if you fall in love in high school and if it is strong enough and if you are loved back, there is nothing that can stop you. good article!!

R2daNamvuk said...
Feb. 8, 2010 at 9:53 am
I agree with this statement. No teenages feel love until they have gotten their lives set on track. Middle/highscool relationships last for maybe a month if that. I have noticed this and i think parents should tell their kids that love is such a great feeling that is can only be shared with one special person. Some kids get so distraught about teen relationships that they enter depression, and sometimes even kill themselves!

megalooski92 said...
Feb. 8, 2010 at 9:14 am
You don't have to be a certain age to love someone. Teenagers can fall in love just as college students or other adults. But it doesn't mean they're meant to be together forever, or meant to get married. I'm seventeen and I've loved someone, but that doesn't mean I plan on marrying him (ever).

...irie... said...
Nope. The capacity to understand what it trulybmeans to be in love is not evident in MOST teenager (keep in mind this is a generalization that is defined by the immature in "love" teenagers I know.) Once you reach the age where you realize what kind of people are out there and once you need people in certain situations the idea of what your real love will be becomes clearer. I'm not one to put down faerie tales though, so maybe yes it could be possible -but in my opinion your matu... (more »)

Lovestonedloser said...
I believe teenage love can actually last. But at the same time not ALL teenage love lasts. alot of teens often call relationships love when they've only been dating like a week or less and you know thats not real love. Others wont even be dating and be 'inlove' with each other. Only knowing one another a short time. I'm not saying it's impossible or possible because everyone has their own opinion. But i think if the feelings are really there for both partners. And they h... (more »)

Lovestonedloser replied...
And i forgot to add I have told this boy i Love him. The first and only boy in my 16 years of life that i've told i loved. And he said he loved me too. He's another one who doesn't take love lightly so i'm hoping that maybe....just maybe we honestly will make it. And we were kinda....Engaged heart to heart. We didn't have a ring or anything but he asked me to marry him and i said yes. it was kinda like a promise sooo.

RockP said...
i believe it is....cause me and my bf love eachother every much...and like i dont use the word love lightly like some ppl do now and days.....and neither does he....i think when u tell a adult that they think ur too young to know the true meaning of love....that u have to be old to know wat it is.....but i personally think u dont....i think that teens can fall in love....and even get married to the person they fell for....i think adults should stop lookin at love as something u can find when u a... (more »)

confused said...
I used to think that teenage love was pure fiction, but then I met this boy. everyday he makes me smile. I think about him all the time and he makes me feel like I'm special. I used to think that teenage love was purely misread hormones. But now I don't know what it thinks. this boy has caused alot of confusion in my life about what I believe and what I don't. I don't know if I love him, but I might.

His_Girl_Forever09/03/09 said...
I believe it is possible to find your true love in high school. Not everyone goes by their hormones. I believe the timing is different for every. I agree that you can't put an age on love. Now i'm not saying a freshman in high school will find true love yet i could be wrong maybe they will. I believe in the idea because i'm having it go on in my life but also because i've seen people that are married and are still together even after the high school which is a major test for ... (more »)

Kirstiboo said...
I think that teenage love does exist. BUT, I also think it's rare. Teens are infatuated with each other, sure. Physically attracted to each other, heck yeah. But, it really does depend on the level of maturity. I'm a teenager and I'm very infatuated with my boyfriend as well as physically attracted to him. I do love and care for him but I don't think he is my "true love" if there is suck a thing. To be in love, I think you'd have to know who you are and want to... (more »)

Misterthedude said...
No, they lie to themselves and think that they are in love when really they arent. Hormones =/= love. And when they are in "love" lets see how long that lasts when they go to different colleges.

Sunshine! said...
Feb. 6, 2010 at 11:50 am
I think that love can exist wherever it is possible for someone to fall in love. I think that, yes, teens do often take their arm candy too seriously. For instance, I don't think carrying someone's lunch tray to the trash to dump it for them warrants the phrase "I love you" like people at school seem to think, but I also think that there are many KINDS of love. You love your shoes, you love your dog, you love your parents--you might love your boyfriend/girlfriend. It really, ... (more »)

luv_and_peace said...
Feb. 6, 2010 at 10:10 am
I do agree that teenagers can fall in love, but I think that many claim they are "in love" and give too much away to a guy in high school. Maturity plays a huge roll, and I think that some people are mature enough in high school to have a legitimate relationship, but many others are not even close to ready.

pfgoldfish13 said...
Feb. 6, 2010 at 8:52 am
I'm a teen. I've been in love with the same guy for thre and a half years. I say it is possible to find true love in high school. =)

iNERDY said...
Feb. 6, 2010 at 12:12 am
I believe that teens CAN fall in love but i also believe that the SHOULDNT fall in love. Be real, we all know those serial monogomists who fall "in love" with like 3 different ppl every month. and not only that why would u want to be in a serious relationship in high school? thats what Adulthood is for.

07_mariab said...
Feb. 4, 2010 at 5:02 am
teen love is real! Anyone at anyage can fall inlove!