Teenage Love? | Teen Ink

Teenage Love?

By Meredith Munro SILVER, Spring Lake, New Jersey
Meredith Munro SILVER, Spring Lake, New Jersey

Do you believe in love in high school? Could it possibly exist?

No way, kids don't know what true love is... But, how many people do you know that dated in high school that are currently married and happy? I personally know about 4 couples very very well that are now happy after being high school sweethearts. Did they just like each other as teens and grow to love each other? When did the "like" change to "love?" In college? Age 21? 22?23? Or could they possibly have loved each other all along?

How can you put an age on love?

I, personally, believe in teenage love. I truly think it exists. Adults that did not fall in love till they were, in fact, adults, will most likely dismiss it. However, some - like my mother, for instance - do not dismiss teenage love. Do you?

Rarity said...
on Jul. 21 2011 at 11:51 am
Does it matter if you believe in High School love or not? You'll feel the same thing either way, it's just what you want to call it. 

on Jul. 20 2011 at 12:28 am
Meggy129 BRONZE, Hebron, Illinois
the problem today with teenage love is that the word love is tossed around so carelessly its disgusting. I personally believe in it but the problem is a lot of people over use that word but I also beileve that its not just teenagers who over use that word. If the word love wasn't used so easily and casually then maybe love would be easier to define.

on Jul. 13 2011 at 11:54 pm
far.from.you. GOLD, Bradenton, Florida

" She completly fell for him, but he didnt even stumble...</3" -unknown.

I absolutley believe in teenage love,(: I've struggled with some... intense problems the past couple years, i thought no one understood me. Until one day a boy in the grade above me started talking to me, then he started telling me about him, and then the day came when he found out the real me, well the "screwed up" me.. i thought our friendship was over, but then he helped me, & talked me through everything. I must have cried in fron of him 20 times, and he always was there, no matter what. He was my bestfriend, until the day he randomly comes up to me in the hallway and says,

"Hey.. I uhm, i think i'm in love with you.."

My life changed forever, and thats why i believe in teenage love, i mean, im only 14(:

k.s.h. GOLD said...
on Jul. 11 2011 at 6:07 pm
k.s.h. GOLD, Depauw, Indiana

Two roads diverged in a wood and I--I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.

Robert Frost

I really don't know what I think about the subject.  I'm only a tween/preteen and I really don't even know if I can comment on this kind of thing.  On one hand, I think it's fate for some teenagers to fall in love and the relationship is serious.  On the other hand, I see a lot of silly puppy love crap. 

????????????????

on Jul. 9 2011 at 12:33 am
countrygirl3394, Carver, Massachusetts

No matter what you're going through, it will end eventually. So if it's bad, keep your chin up. And if it's good, enjoy it while it lasts.

After two very serious teenage relationships, I do still believe teen love. At first, after my latest break-up, I was done with dating as a teenager but now, I think it is possible for someone to find their soulmate at a younger age. Two of my best friends have been with their boyfriends for over a year and they've proven it to me.

on Jul. 8 2011 at 8:42 pm
singingwriter14 BRONZE, Chester, New York

"Some days you're the statue. Some days you're the pigeon."

Ok, that it just about  one of the sweetest things I've ever heard! Go you! :-)

JustineD said...
on Jul. 7 2011 at 5:11 pm
JustineD, Seattle, Washington
Exactly, it always has to do with the people, not the age! XD

JustineD said...
on Jul. 7 2011 at 5:09 pm
JustineD, Seattle, Washington

I truly believe in teenage love. 100%. I know that many teens just throw 'I love you' out there, when their feelings aren't nearly as passionate, but it does exist. Love is love no matter what age. Only you can know what's going on in your heart, so others cannot dismiss it. 

Love is different to different people, but everyone'll know when Love has found them. :)

on Jul. 4 2011 at 10:49 am
Gymnastgirl26 GOLD, Austin, Texas
I recently exchanged "I love you"s for the first time with a boy I've liked for three years. He edits my writing, encourages me to pursue physics, worries about me when I get hurt at gymnastics, ( and even went through an eating disorder for the sport). He's been there for me all along. Even though I'm only fourteen and never had a boyfriend before, I think teen love exists.

SnowBlaze94 said...
on Jun. 29 2011 at 5:37 pm
I really do believe in teenage love. I'm 17 years old and i've been with my boyfriend for 3 years and 4 months. I was 12 and he was 13. I'll admit we told each other the first day we started dating our "I Love You's". We only knew each other for about a week before we started dating. It was all so fast but on the long run it was all worth it. :) So love doesn't have a certain age. Whenever you fall in love you know it. So teenage love really does exist and is possible.

on Jun. 23 2011 at 10:34 pm
BadKindOfLucky BRONZE, Indianapolis, Indiana

\"Basic rule of advertizing and eternal damnation: Once you sell your soul to the devil, he holds the copyright.\" -Brian QAF (wanted to put additional quote by Harvey Milk...space did not suffice)

We feel love before we know what love is.

Emonie SILVER said...
on Jun. 16 2011 at 11:54 pm
Emonie SILVER, Sauk Village, Illinois

We are the perfect couple, we're just not in the perfect situation.
by Joey Rivett

Yes I truely believe in teenage love. Adults Think that since we are kids that we may not know but we know more then what they say. Sometimes it can be true love some times it can be heartbreak but whatever the cause maybe its still love.

on Jun. 15 2011 at 9:41 pm
sammy_girl11 PLATINUM, Black Earth, Wisconsin
I think it happens. Maybe not a lot, but sometimes it's love. I don't think it has to do with age, I think it has to do with the people. People can think they're in love when they're not at any age. People can be in love at any age. I think when it's love, it's just love.

on Jun. 13 2011 at 9:39 pm
A.PaigeTurner, San Antonio, Texas

You think that everybody hates you. You should really stop that.- A Good Friend

I think that the reason most relationships don't last is because people don't know what love is.  Love is not this overpowering force that you fall in and out of.  Love is something you have to work at.  Also, don't look for the perfect person to be with.  Instead, try to be a person others will want a lasting relationship with.  This does not mean that all relationships will work out but it might help you give true love a chance. 

Meko8195 said...
on Jun. 12 2011 at 6:49 pm
Meko8195, Dover, Pennsylvania

The pressure makes us stronger, the struggle makes us hunger; the hard lessons make the difference...and the difference makes it worth it.

yeah :) My grandparents had teenage love :D its just so rare lol. and thx :)

on Jun. 12 2011 at 2:47 pm
brysmarie12 PLATINUM, Neoga, Illinois

I am the author of my own life... unfortunately I'm writing in pen and can't erase my mistakes.

I think a lot of people dismiss teenage love, because there are so many teenagers that will just say 'I love you' because they're in a relationship. It's just a requirement that comes along with it.

on Jun. 11 2011 at 5:18 pm
rachelpark BRONZE, Milton, Massachusetts

I think that some teenagers know what true love is and that some do experience it in high school. But there are teens that say "I love you" because they feel obliged to say it when they get a new boyfriend/girlfriend.

I believe in teenage love because I'm fifteen and I have a boyfriend that I've been dating for almost a year now. I think our relationship is something real even though we're both in high school.

All in all, it really just depends on the person. Someone can fall in love at any age, whether they realize it or not. It's there.

on Jun. 10 2011 at 10:24 pm
KelleySchorn SILVER, Fort Worth, Texas

Whatever you are be a good one-some president i dont remember which
procrastinaters unite!...tomorrow!!-matt
i'm F-U-L-LLLLL i think i can spellllll-allie =]

i dont really know i myself havent experienced it yet nor do i know anyone who has/is at the moment, i know of a lot of people who use that "i love you" phrase frivilously and end up breaking up in the end, im saving it for when i truly feel it-ill know when that time is right:) <3

on Jun. 7 2011 at 4:53 pm
bookwormjunkie, Dallas, Texas

WHAT THE HECK?!?!?!?!?!
or
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ok, i understand wat your sayin!but teen love could happen!im not sayin that if u date in your teen years, u will be with that person your whole life. im just sayin that it could happen!and i hope u and your BF have a very healthy relationship!and member u can just say no!if he wants u to not be u, then its over!

Lynnies said...
on Jun. 5 2011 at 8:04 pm
Lynnies, Corvallis, Oregon

be yourself, everyone else is taken.

Hmm, it really depends on people. Just because we're young and "don't know much", it seems adult play with love just as much as teens do. Just saying, but I think love is ageless (: