Beautiful Friends

I’ve been to a lot of different schools. Every year and a half or so I move on to another because of family reasons. Now most of the time when I was ready to move on I had just started fitting in, Just started to not be ‘the new kid’ who everyone picked on, Just started to make real friends. Then I got to year seven, the worst year of my life. It was so bad I changed schools after two terms. In each and every one of these schools there was something I found.
I’m in yr 10 now and even though I’m not the new kid anymore I still feel judged. I even see my friends doing it sometimes. The bullying isn’t your normal primary school bullying anymore its deeper. Its comments, its looks and its subtle things that gradually wear you down and attack yourself esteem until you crack. We are forced to conform to a certain way of thinking. Don’t want to wear makeup? Then you’re not beautiful. Don’t want to get your hair styled and have the latest clothes? You’re a disposable thing for someone else to compare themselves to in order to make themselves feel better.
But these things don’t make you beautiful. Sure they might get you popular but who actually likes the popular girl? Is she happy? Why do we fool ourselves into thinking we need things that only make us miserable? Why do we choose fake friends instead of real ones just because we believe they’ll make us look good?
Beautiful friends are that special rare friend who will take you how you are. Otherwise who are they really accepting? The ones who are willing to put up with your dorky obsessions and who you can laugh and who you cry you’re out heart with. They won’t judge you because you rather read a book than some trashy gossip magazine.
These friendships are so special because they’re the ones that you keep in touch with when you go your separate ways. I love you Jessiee – my truly beautiful friend (and the only one I’ve even had in the 7 or so schools I’ve been too!) The sad thing is there people are so rare. There rare because everyone’s trying to be someone else. Everyone’s trying to be something there not. Imagine what the world would be like if we were just us and let ourselves all be beautiful friends....

little-miss-sunshine said...
I agree! I have 2 "beautiful" friends but sometimes I still try to fit in too much.

. said...
this is really good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

musiclover94 replied...
Nov. 3, 2009 at 8:21 pm :
I feel this way all the time but I feel like a hypocrite saying it. I know I try too hard to fit in even though I'm in the marching band so I should just give up on that one. lol, i love band but I feel like even there, I'm a little out of place. You captured the essence of high school really well!

Yvaine_96This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Mar. 12, 2010 at 5:53 am :
i dnt fit in any where n i hav nevr tried 2. I bet thats why i hav good frnz

Sneaky-Smily replied...
Mar. 12, 2010 at 2:38 pm :
thats exactly what it all comes down to though ... REAL (or beautiful as she puts it) friends or fame ayee? Fame just leads to a lot more complications and insecurities because it shows that you are deeply affected by what people think ... people need to be comfortable in who they are !!

tor10jax said...
You wrote this piece really well. You didn't repeat the same things over and over again. You used personal examples and asked rhetorical questions. The only advice I have is go back and look for typ-o's and misusage of "there" ("their"). But good job!
Keep writing!

Kitten111 replied...
Sept. 21, 2009 at 1:07 am :
lol thanks .... yeah im really bad with typos and gramma .... advice very much appreciated :)

xoxbabygirl123 replied...
Oct. 21, 2009 at 2:29 pm :
This really moved me. You must be one of those rare people..=)