Beautiful Friends

I’ve been to a lot of different schools. Every year and a half or so I move on to another because of family reasons. Now most of the time when I was ready to move on I had just started fitting in, Just started to not be ‘the new kid’ who everyone picked on, Just started to make real friends. Then I got to year seven, the worst year of my life. It was so bad I changed schools after two terms. In each and every one of these schools there was something I found.
I’m in yr 10 now and even though I’m not the new kid anymore I still feel judged. I even see my friends doing it sometimes. The bullying isn’t your normal primary school bullying anymore its deeper. Its comments, its looks and its subtle things that gradually wear you down and attack yourself esteem until you crack. We are forced to conform to a certain way of thinking. Don’t want to wear makeup? Then you’re not beautiful. Don’t want to get your hair styled and have the latest clothes? You’re a disposable thing for someone else to compare themselves to in order to make themselves feel better.
But these things don’t make you beautiful. Sure they might get you popular but who actually likes the popular girl? Is she happy? Why do we fool ourselves into thinking we need things that only make us miserable? Why do we choose fake friends instead of real ones just because we believe they’ll make us look good?
Beautiful friends are that special rare friend who will take you how you are. Otherwise who are they really accepting? The ones who are willing to put up with your dorky obsessions and who you can laugh and who you cry you’re out heart with. They won’t judge you because you rather read a book than some trashy gossip magazine.
These friendships are so special because they’re the ones that you keep in touch with when you go your separate ways. I love you Jessiee – my truly beautiful friend (and the only one I’ve even had in the 7 or so schools I’ve been too!) The sad thing is there people are so rare. There rare because everyone’s trying to be someone else. Everyone’s trying to be something there not. Imagine what the world would be like if we were just us and let ourselves all be beautiful friends....

oh_nine_2009 said...
So.. i'm pretty sure I just fell in love... with this article. Wheres the LOVE button? lol :) thanks for noticing the same general opinions as me :)

ashley1012 said...
i love this article

zadiekatie23 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I would love a world where everyone could be themselves, and I would also love a world where people do not judge because of who you are, or what you do. Thank you for this.

pamplemousse93 said...
Sept. 3, 2011 at 10:25 am
I loved this article! I can really relate to the feeling of "fake friends," and you portrayed that on the page really well.

sweethweart13 said...
Jul. 7, 2011 at 1:31 am
I just loved your post! Thanks to you I'm finall going to have the confidence to finally dump this friend who takes advantage of me. Thank you SO much!

Kitten111 replied...
Jul. 21, 2011 at 1:04 am
Awww im glad :) good luck beautiful

Ariel said...
It's good to stay positive on life no matter what:)

Jess cooper said...
I really liked this :)

B.Geeh<3 said...
All iHave To Say Is WOW!

Kitten111 replied...
I'm glad, thanks to everyone else too you guys are really encouraging!

KelC65 said...
Mar. 3, 2011 at 3:49 am
My best friend is just like that, but your right people need to me more like that <3

Annie:P replied...

to me more like that lol,

good job Kitten :)

Ddoodle89 said...
i agree with allen stone i think u definatly need 2 try to spread that around!! its a great quality 2 have

KelC65 replied...
Mar. 3, 2011 at 3:50 am
agreed :)  

Allen Stone said...
Dec. 13, 2010 at 1:32 am
I really like your view on life you seem like a really positive person :)

Kitten111 replied...
Jan. 27, 2011 at 12:44 am
Thanks :) I try 

I AM THE AWESOME said...
(Y) awesomesauce

Woweee said...
thats soooo sweet ^^

Shabanana said...
wow! i understand what u mean bc i recently moved also and it was in 7th grade. I was known as the new girl for quite some time and i was switching from group to group trying to find my friends but couldn't. the really popular group tried to befriend me but that is not who i am and i didnt want to be friends with them and then i finally found my group of friends and bc i wasnt friends with the popular group they made my life miserable. now im in high school and i left all my friends and am tryin... (more »)

MikiHelman said...
Friends come and go, big deal