I Love You

I love you.

It’s said all the time. But do people really mean it? Do they know the difference between true love and just a fling?

My best friend had her first boyfriend this year and about three or four months into the relationship, they started saying I love you. The sad thing is, is that they never kissed. Every time she would say I love you, I wanted to ask her, “Do you really?”

I don’t think that you truly love someone until your willing to give up anything and everything to be with them. I love you is meant to be forever, not just a few months or a year.

The saddest part about this is that “I love you” is both overused, and not said enough. For the people who really need to hear it, it’s not heard. But for the people that say it just to say it, you hear it all the time.

Love is a powerful word; it can either break your heart, or complete it. Don’t say “I love you” unless you truly mean it. Everyone will find their true love one day - or at least, that’s what I like to believe - because it’s not just in fairy tales.

bltsoccerchick said...
I really like where you're coming from. Like what point of view. It's true that people say it all the time, and I think you're completly right when you say that it shouldn't be taken lightly. Very good job, and keep writing!

happy said...
Mar. 31, 2010 at 9:37 am:
i understand were your coming from. your completle right..but kids say it and if they do then they most of really love them.

Cookie Monster said...
Mar. 14, 2010 at 2:54 pm:
I totally agree that the phrase i love u is just used to get a kiss!!!!!!

Cookie Monster said...
Mar. 14, 2010 at 2:51 pm:
I totally agree that love is a strong word. One time I turned to my crush and meant to say I love being on a boy b-ball team and ended up saying that I loved him. ever since then he's been treating me like he's my bff instead of being his normal jerk self.

wooget101 said...
Feb. 20, 2010 at 8:18 pm:
I just got done submitting a poem about that exact same thing and how it should not my expected but experienced.

BaBii_GhErL said...
i agree but some just say because since their a couple they think its what their suppose to say to the other one...since their a couple

BaBii_GhErL said...
are u sayin that jus becuz we're teenagers we dnt know what true love is?...if thats what ur saying i disagree...love as no limit...u can fall in love at a younger age then 16 or above...

walkingXonXclouds replied...
Nov. 24, 2009 at 8:39 pm :
no, that's not what I'm saying. What I mean is when people don't really know who they're dating and they automatically say I love you and they don't really mean it. Yes I believe that teenagers can fall in love, but I also think that we have a tendency to say I love you way too early into a relationship.

StephFaith23 replied...
Jan. 14, 2010 at 9:30 am :
Well their is some truth to that, the age thing. But see, if your 11 or 12, you dont know what love is. I dont even think you know what it is if your 13 or 14. It's just too young. You don't fully understand it yet. You just get into little relationships so you don't have to be the odd one out. My 14 year old sister is like that...she keeps saying she wants a boyfriend so bad and when she finds them...it lasts a week then shes over it. She just wants a boyfriend so she can fit in.... (more »)

daughterofeve14 replied...
Oct. 29, 2011 at 1:53 pm :
I believe you can fall in love at thirteen or fourteen if youre mature enough. Im fourteen and I believe Im completely madly in love with my boyfriend for almost a year, but his parents and my parents both say Im mature for my age and that I understand. Hes seventeen so hes mature is up to level too. I think in some situations its all about maturity. 

BaBii_GhErL said...
i agree on what u say...but i believe that no one really knows what love really is...they only know as what they see and feel it in their own definition

BaBii_GhErL said...
yea but if u love them enough u would give up eerything just as long as u have them buy ur side...

mdavenport replied...
Sept. 28, 2010 at 9:54 am :
I totally agree with you. I feel like that i will give anything to my boyfriend for him to be by my side. 

TearsinMind said...
I have only said "I love you" to only one girl. At the end.....I truely loved her and she never took it seriously....Im 17 and I have already given up on teenage love....I can't beleive in it because I have never seen it.... I was stupid saying it to her when I was only hoping she loved me too....

ClaraZornado This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Nov. 2, 2009 at 11:33 am:
I like this article, but I disagree with what you said about truly loving someone. You can truly love someone and not want to give up everything.

Katie T. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I think Love should be used as often as possible. I love my dad, I love my sister, I love my female friends, I love my male friends. Love can't be bottled, confined or chained with one definition. Love is a feeling you have for some one who makes you smile when you see them, and someone who's best interest you have at heart. If Sanskrit has 100 words for love, why can't we?

tima said...
Oct. 5, 2009 at 10:25 am:
I fell in love with my boyfriend when we started dating at age 14. Of course it took time to love him, but I know what love is. It's when you look at someone in the eyes and all you can see/ feel is them. When you hear their name your heart pounds. When you see them, everyone else is out of sight. And when you're with them, you never want to say goodbye. Unfortunately good things always come to an end. He and I broke up after almost 3 years of dating. We started growing apart which hap... (more »)

Allure said...
I agree with you I didnt relize what ture love was intill I met my boyfriend and they took him away from me even made me move to a new school we are hitting the year mark in nov and we are still going out even though I know my grandparents can do alot worse you have no clue but it worth it it really is

iwantcoconow said...
Sept. 16, 2009 at 11:15 am:
really good i really agree with you

Helena J. replied...
Sept. 16, 2009 at 2:53 pm :
its true,there are alot of people who say it and don t mean...love can also be shattered it is like a glass...you have to be careful on using but its losing it meaning....