I Love You

I love you.

It’s said all the time. But do people really mean it? Do they know the difference between true love and just a fling?

My best friend had her first boyfriend this year and about three or four months into the relationship, they started saying I love you. The sad thing is, is that they never kissed. Every time she would say I love you, I wanted to ask her, “Do you really?”

I don’t think that you truly love someone until your willing to give up anything and everything to be with them. I love you is meant to be forever, not just a few months or a year.

The saddest part about this is that “I love you” is both overused, and not said enough. For the people who really need to hear it, it’s not heard. But for the people that say it just to say it, you hear it all the time.

Love is a powerful word; it can either break your heart, or complete it. Don’t say “I love you” unless you truly mean it. Everyone will find their true love one day - or at least, that’s what I like to believe - because it’s not just in fairy tales.

Unsure said...
May 11, 2012 at 10:48 am:
I love is over used and i love all the facts in this story.

Russell R. said...
i entirely agree, you should be willing to give up anything and ask for nothing to be with the person you truely love.

erinw--Jov said...
I really like this piece! I completely agree with what you're saying, and I like how it's short and to the point:)

C.K.Snow said...
Mar. 9, 2012 at 8:03 pm:
I agree with the message you are trying to give. Don't say I love you until you know you actually love them.

Leeforever97 said...
this is so amazing and so true!!!

daughterofeve14 said...
Ive been dating the same guy for a year, and we say I love you. I mean it with more than my heart and soul. And its not because were dating I started to say it. We were friends at first, and I knew from that moment I loved him like that. He says the same thing. And he said that to me before we even got together. Love is a poweful thing I agree. I love this article by the way. 

rythmicalcreation said...
Jul. 11, 2011 at 11:43 pm:
wonderfully written.  and i hope for that kind of love in the future.

ashley1012 said...
May 12, 2011 at 11:22 am:
this is  so true but right at this moment i am ready to give up anything thing for my boyfriend becuase i truley know what love is we are get engagged in june

whateverjulietThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
this is so true!

JUVIN replied...
May 6, 2011 at 3:56 am :
U ARE Right !!!

JUVIN replied...
May 6, 2011 at 4:07 am :
but it also have a mistake !!!! u dont need to kiss to prove ur luv ....

whateverjulietThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
May 6, 2011 at 6:31 pm :
That is also very true, but sometimes a kiss is a symbol of how much u care abt someone. Sometimes, not all the time tho.

daughterofeve14 replied...
Oct. 29, 2011 at 1:41 pm :
Agree, but I do believe if you like someone a kiss isnt bad. I kissed my boyfriend before we started saying I love you.

ilovveyou ! said...
Mar. 1, 2011 at 10:44 pm:

you don't have to kiss somebody to love them

you love them because you want to

ShelbyMarie93 replied...
Mar. 23, 2011 at 9:27 am :

I totally agree with ilovveyou !: you can love someone without kissing them, holding their hand, hugging them...it's just that those things make it better. But I do agree with what you said about it "can either break your heart, or complete it." Good words. :)

Keep writing your talent is amazing. :)

Bri_Bri_Boo replied...
Mar. 23, 2011 at 11:15 pm :
I agree with @ ilovveyou ! : Mainly because I tell my friends and family I love them all the time but I never kiss them.

FireandWater This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
yes, and no.  I love you is not overused.  what else are you going to say if you love someone?  "I sincerely like you and enjoy spending time with you?"  I Love You is timeless.  And you don't have to kiss someone, for your relationship to mean something.  they could be saving their kiss, giving themselves the opportunity to trust in each other.  when you kiss someone it should be the person you spend the rest of your life with.

ShelbyMarie93 replied...
Mar. 23, 2011 at 9:28 am :
FireandWater, Amen!

daughterofeve14 replied...
Oct. 29, 2011 at 1:43 pm :
I believe if you dont really love someone dont say it. Thats the way its overused to me... When people say it just to say it. 

teeninkwriter said...
Totally true and well written. Was thought provoking. I agree completly "I love you" is overused and underused. Love your writing.