Colors | Teen Ink

Colors

By valeriacoronado BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
valeriacoronado BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

I see my life through colors.

When I was growing up in a house with another sister I liked to think there were two types of kids. A purple and a pink kid. The oldest always got first pick, and her first pick was always pink. And on the rare occasion I got first pick, I knew I would be better off with the second best, purple. 

To think these colors meant the world to us as kids is absurd but it was just one of those things where you had to be there to understand the depths and the meaning of it. 

I remember growing up I wanted to be pink. I wanted that girly culmination of that color and all that came with it. And with purple I guess I never really got that. 

I’ve thought I lived my entire life in my childhood. I thought that was it. That I would always be the purple kid. With the lavender colored socks and the velvet purple dresses laced with a plum colored trim. I never really got past understanding it. It was my life. For instance, like even in my favorite shows, Barbie was a stunning pink and Raquel was just a mere purple. 

Maybe it's unfair for me to say that I never really understood purple for what it was or even gave it that definition for it to be anything more than second best. 

But years passed and we grew up and grew out of the pink and purple standards. The colors faded into nothing but distant afterthoughts. And eventually those colors became nothing more than just simply what they were. 

We became close and those things that once separated us became a part of us. We came to understand the world more. And for me, I realized that there was more to life than the role I was assigned to when I was young. 

We grew up and returned to our home in Puerto Rico. And for me I recalled all our memories. And I didnt see them through a certain color. The clear glass skies and the deep blue waters. And the glowing green trees and the pastels through each little city. Everything about it. 

Being able to see in colors got rid of everything I’d known before and gave me a new experience and weirdly enough a new purpose.

Maybe it was something phycological through these colors we’d assigned ourselves or maybe it was just all that we had known. But I think it made me aware of how fragile everything is and just how temporary things can be. 

I was able to appreciate my life and not give in to my previous expectations or the standards I gave myself when we were younger. I saw my life through the eyes of my own and not some second best. 

This piece is just about me and my sister growing up.